javascript injection

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

javascript injection

Post by DanCardin on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 am
([msg=60994]see javascript injection[/msg])

i may be being dense, but
javascript:alert('Alert box!');
does not work for me in firefox, but it works in Chrome and such. Any idea why?
DanCardin
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: javascript injection

Post by mShred on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 pm
([msg=61001]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

You updated to firefox 6, huh? Yeah i decided to test the beta out. And when i initially read this, i said to myself, 'he must be doing something wrong.' So i then tried it. javascript:alert('hey'); Huh that's weird, now i must be doing something wrong. Opened internet explorer, copy pasted, boom. Pop up box saying hey. WTF. After a little Googling, i cam across this.
MozillaFuckTards wrote:For security reasons, data: and javascript: URIs no longer inherit the security context of the current page when the user enters them in the location bar; instead, a new, empty, security context is created. This means that script loaded by entering javascript: URIs in the location bar no longer has access to DOM methods and the like, for example. These URIs continue to work as before when used by script, however.

Damn. I used to be completely in love with Firefox. But i've seriously updated it like eight times this summer. And well i lose more and more addons with each update along with shit like this. I suppose me and Firefox are just growing apart..
Mozilla, fuck you.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:20 pm
([msg=61010]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

mShred wrote:You updated to firefox 6, huh? Yeah i decided to test the beta out. And when i initially read this, i said to myself, 'he must be doing something wrong.' So i then tried it. javascript:alert('hey'); Huh that's weird, now i must be doing something wrong. Opened internet explorer, copy pasted, boom. Pop up box saying hey. WTF. After a little Googling, i cam across this.
MozillaFuckTards wrote:For security reasons, data: and javascript: URIs no longer inherit the security context of the current page when the user enters them in the location bar; instead, a new, empty, security context is created. This means that script loaded by entering javascript: URIs in the location bar no longer has access to DOM methods and the like, for example. These URIs continue to work as before when used by script, however.

Damn. I used to be completely in love with Firefox. But i've seriously updated it like eight times this summer. And well i lose more and more addons with each update along with shit like this. I suppose me and Firefox are just growing apart..
Mozilla, fuck you.

Chrome for the win!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by jgreen45 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 pm
([msg=61029]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
mShred wrote:You updated to firefox 6, huh? Yeah i decided to test the beta out. And when i initially read this, i said to myself, 'he must be doing something wrong.' So i then tried it. javascript:alert('hey'); Huh that's weird, now i must be doing something wrong. Opened internet explorer, copy pasted, boom. Pop up box saying hey. WTF. After a little Googling, i cam across this.

Mozilla, fuck you.

Chrome for the win!

Hissssss :evil:
I can't come to bed...
Someone is WRONG on the internet

http://xkcd.com/386/
jgreen45
Poster
Poster

Post by DanCardin on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:53 pm
([msg=61034]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

i mean i rather dislike the fact that now, i must open another browser to do this, but in terms of your losing addons: addon compatibility reporter shall fix that problem
DanCardin
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:05 pm
([msg=61035]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

DanCardin wrote:i mean i rather dislike the fact that now, i must open another browser to do this, but in terms of your losing addons: addon compatibility reporter shall fix that problem

Not always, although that does work for some.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 pm
([msg=61036]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

Mozilla, fuck you.

People say you can still use the console for all your JS injection needs.

The updates have been confusing me. Firefox 3 was around for a long time before 4 came out. It seems 4 has only been around a short time, and they're already on 6? As for your addons problem, you can modify the addon so it thinks it's compatible with 5 or 6, works more than you'd expect

I dislike Chrome for two reasons: It doesn't ship with Slackware, and there aren't any Tamper Data-like adons (I've read that it isn't possible)
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:01 pm
([msg=61040]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:

Mozilla, fuck you.

People say you can still use the console for all your JS injection needs.

The updates have been confusing me. Firefox 3 was around for a long time before 4 came out. It seems 4 has only been around a short time, and they're already on 6? As for your addons problem, you can modify the addon so it thinks it's compatible with 5 or 6, works more than you'd expect

I dislike Chrome for two reasons: It doesn't ship with Slackware, and there aren't any Tamper Data-like adons (I've read that it isn't possible)

I'm actually using a version of Tamper Data on my Chrome....
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:05 am
([msg=61042]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

centip3de wrote:I'm actually using a version of Tamper Data on my Chrome....

Really? They must've changed things. Before, I read that addons couldn't modify headers in Chrome
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:47 am
([msg=61043]see Re: javascript injection[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:
centip3de wrote:I'm actually using a version of Tamper Data on my Chrome....

Really? They must've changed things. Before, I read that addons couldn't modify headers in Chrome

Look up 'Request Maker' ... I don't think it's the same thing as before, but from what I've read it's pretty darn close...
centip3de

Next

Return to Web