My Philosophy (not completely mine...)

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

My Philosophy (not completely mine...)

Post by EvilGenius72 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:52 am
([msg=60824]see My Philosophy (not completely mine...)[/msg])

Right and wrong are subjective terms and wholly dependent on one's world-view. Every civilization, nation and culture has it's own moral code, the product of whatever religious or philosophical ideology is prevalent. Quite often, religion and/or philosophy are used by the powers that be to pacify the masses and bring about their subjugation. Examples of this can clearly be seen in feudal Japan, where the emperor was "god" and thus his authority must not be questioned; the Holy Roman Empire, where the Church ruled and their control mandated by God; and also in Napoleon's France and Stalin's Russia.

Despite the use and misuse of ethics and morality, there is one underlying principle which should be foremost in the minds of all: What is necessary to maintain balance and make life bearable for people in general? What is it that will keep us from fading into the annals of history and extinction? Obviously, much of what we typically view as "good" (such as industrialization, nationalism - under the guise of "security", and indifference - under the guise of "minding one's own business") actually contribute to the destruction of humanity (not that I'm opposed to the idea of population reduction in a vastly overpopulated world!).

The initial "establishment" of "right and wrong" as a principle of morality, I believe, was to insure the safety and security of the people; in other words, if it harms the whole, it is wrong; if it helps the whole, it is good. Thus, in my opinion, it doesn't matter what a religion or philosophy dictate because morality, as a general principle, stems from humanity itself and not whatever ideology happens to be popular at the time...
Knowledge is not evil; only those who use it for evil intentions are evil.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My Philosophy (not completely mine...)

Post by edone automaton on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:22 pm
([msg=60837]see Re: My Philosophy (not completely mine...)[/msg])

Hi Evilgenius72. TBH, I can't make out what the point of your post is (is there just one underlying point?). You also seem to contradict yourself a fair bit there.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by EvilGenius72 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:48 am
([msg=60849]see Re: My Philosophy (not completely mine...)[/msg])

Basically my point is this: while everyone will TELL you this or that is right and this or that is wrong, based on how they were raised to believe, the truth is the concept of right and wrong originated in an era when humanity was divided into clans and tribes, and certain regulatory principles (right and wrong) were necessary to preserve and secure the whole (within the clan).

Over the years, religious and philosophical ideology injected itself into the equation and that which is "right" ceased to actually BE right in many instances (as these principles ceased to preserve or secure the whole); the same holds true to that which is wrong.

In any event, I did hop around quite a bit in my previous post, so I can understand why you would think I was contradicting myself; but rest assured there were no contradictions, just a failure on my part to fully elaborate what I meant on certain things.

PS When I said that "right and wrong are subjective terms" I meant the terms themselves, not the underlying principle.
Knowledge is not evil; only those who use it for evil intentions are evil.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Post by VPR3 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:48 pm
([msg=60932]see Re: My Philosophy (not completely mine...)[/msg])

Well I will sanity is not statistical....
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Return to Ethics