Joli

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Joli

Post by EvilGenius72 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 pm
([msg=60803]see Joli[/msg])

I have an HP Mini 110 that came with Windows 7 Starter. I have grown to despise this os, but because the mini doesn't have a disc drive and it won't allow me to boot from my external dvd/cd drive, I've been stuck with this piece of shit os. Earlier today I came across the Joli OS, a Linux-based os, and discovered it can be installed alongside or over Windows by way of an exe file (that uses the Windows Installer lol). So I installed it alongside Windows 7 (just incase it sucked, I wouldn't be permanently stuck with Joli). When I restarted my comp, I was given the choice of starting Windows or starting Joli.

At any rate, so far this os is pretty awesome and much faster than the Windows on my comp. The only drawback is it utilizes your Jolicloud account (which you register for when setting up the os) to store all your system aps, thus you must be connected to the internet to use most of Joli's aps. However, since all your aps are stored online, they don't use up your comp's space and only slightly affect CPU. There are also some very good programming and coding aps, like PHPAnywhere, which allows you to code and edit php applications directly online (meaning you don't need to install PHP, SQL, Apache, or anything else on your local machine to work with PHP.

I'm curious if anyone else here has used Joli, and if so, what was their experience?
Knowledge is not evil; only those who use it for evil intentions are evil.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Joli

Post by mShred on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 pm
([msg=60805]see Re: Joli[/msg])

I myself have never heard of Joli. It sounds like it has a nice idea to it though. But i prefer to keep my applications and data stored locally. That way i've got my own logs, rather than someone else. But maybe i'll load it in a virtualbox just to mess around with it.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Prince Of The Elite on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm
([msg=60807]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Well my friend, this is not about joli. actualy it's about that problem you had. There's some way to install your desired os using a pin (flash) drive, memory stick, etc ... Some DOS or you can say cmd lines to make the memory drive primary and copy the components of the os installation disc on the drive. Actuall if you still want to do so just tell me. Or maybe google it and let me have a good night (too late here. Wana slee.... Yaaawn !!). If not just can tell you how....

About that joli, well win 7 surely is pretty for a mini notebook device :) . These things are not made to learn on. Just for office, study and simple browsing. No gamming ofcourse :D

Hey, I just think that way. It's up to you ;)
~~ ""Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant"" ~~

Prince Of The Elite
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:14 am
([msg=60813]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Prince Of The Elite wrote:Well my friend, this is not about joli. actualy it's about that problem you had. There's some way to install your desired os using a pin (flash) drive, memory stick, etc ... Some DOS or you can say cmd lines to make the memory drive primary and copy the components of the os installation disc on the drive. Actuall if you still want to do so just tell me. Or maybe google it and let me have a good night (too late here. Wana slee.... Yaaawn !!). If not just can tell you how....

About that joli, well win 7 surely is pretty for a mini notebook device :) . These things are not made to learn on. Just for office, study and simple browsing. No gamming ofcourse :D

Hey, I just think that way. It's up to you ;)

...wat.
But seriously, it'd be a lot easier to read if you took the time to spell everything and make sense of what is flying through your head. Most of your recent posts have been hard to read.
Didn't take much time to look at Joli. But it looks a little bloated, and reminds me of a Mac.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Prince Of The Elite on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 am
([msg=60815]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Well, just didn't want to post it if he doesn't need it anymore. My posts sometimes are long and full of typos. Sorry about that, will try to stick to fewer words....

Well, here's how it's done :

Requirements:
- A USB device. 4 GB is quite great.
- An os instalation disk
------------------------------
- Open the cmd as administrator (since you're using win 7)
- Type "DISKPART". Now the disk partitioning utility is opened (still in cmd)
- Type "LIST DISK". Lists all the hard disks in the computer. Determine which is the usb memory disk (let it be no. "x")
- Type "SELECT DISK X" where x is the usb disk number. This just select the device memory to performe the following...
- "CLEAN": clear all info and config
- "CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY": as it says
- "SELECT PARTITION 1": again no need for words
- "ACTIVE": makes the partition as active
- "FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK" : formats the partition with file system NTFS
- "ASSIGN" : assigns a drive letter
- "EXIT" : exits diskpart
- Now insert the installation disk. Let its name be "I" and the usb be "u"
* Tried to understand what the following mean but couldn't. Kindly tell me if you do...
- I: CD BOOT
- CD BOOT
- BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 U:
- EXIT
- Now cmd is closed. Just copy the files from I to U and you're finished. Try to boot and start the setup.

NOTES:
* First and most important, got to tell you I didn't try it out yet. Please if anyone tried it let me know the results.
* Actualy, the article I read was about using pen drives to install win 7. Not sure whether it would work for xp or vista. Actualy I don't beleive it can work for any non microsoft windows os but it worth a try.
* Not to forget, you can always know more using the "HELP" command in cmd or in diskpart itself. To get more about command "abc whatever" type "HELP abc whatever".

Hope it works and hope I could help you. Please tell or PM me if you tried it. Willing to help as much as possible if you want !!!

-- Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 am --

Well, just didn't want to post it if he doesn't need it anymore. My posts sometimes are long and full of typos. Sorry about that, will try to stick to fewer words....

Requirements:
- An os instalation disk
- Type "LIST DISK". Lists all the hard disks in the computer. Determine which is the usb memory disk (let it be no. "x")
- Type "SELECT DISK X" where x is the usb disk number. This just select the device memory to performe the following...
* Tried to understand what the following mean but couldn't. Kindly tell me if you do...
- CD BOOT
- BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 U:
- EXIT
- Now cmd is closed. Just copy the files from I to U and you're finished. Try to boot and start the setup.

NOTES:
* First and most important, got to tell you I didn't try it out yet. Please if anyone tried it let me know the results.
* Actualy, the article I read was about using pen drives to install win 7. Not sure whether it would work for xp or vista. Actualy I don't beleive it can work for any non microsoft windows os but it worth a try.
* Not to forget, you can always know more using the "HELP" command in cmd or in diskpart itself. To get more about command "abc whatever" type "HELP abc whatever".

Hope it works and hope I could help you. Please tell or PM me if you tried it. Willing to help as much as possible if you want !!!

-- Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 am --

~~ ""Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant"" ~~

Prince Of The Elite
New User
New User

Post by EvilGenius72 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:53 am
([msg=60821]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Prince Of The Elite wrote:Well, just didn't want to post it if he doesn't need it anymore. My posts sometimes are long and full of typos. Sorry about that, will try to stick to fewer words....

Requirements:
- An os instalation disk
- CD BOOT
- BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 U:
- EXIT

NOTES:

-- Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 am --

Requirements:
- An os instalation disk
- CD BOOT
- BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 U:
- EXIT

NOTES:

-- Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 am --

I did try this several months ago, but when I attempted to boot from the USB drive, I got the error message "no bootable device". However, I'm thinking I may be able to use the Joli OS (since it is a Linux os and loosely based on Ubuntu) to install another Linux os, then delete Windows all together. Interestingly, the installation process did not partition my hard drive (Joli is on the C drive alongside Windows).

Unfortunately, and this is one of the major reasons I despise everything Microsoft, MS has gone overboard to prevent people from being able to switch operating systems on many of the machines that run Windows (such as removing the function that allows you to open and edit the boot sequence on startup, a feature completely removed from my comp), or use certain products on another os (like my Magic Jack, that is wholly dependent on a Windows OS).

Interestingly, most of the computer manufacturers today (Dell, HP, etc...) have contracts with Microsoft and will not install anything but a MS OS on their computers. I recently contacted HP and asked for some information on switching to Linux on my Mini. They refused to give me any information, saying they "don't promote any particular os over another: an outright lie, as they are promoting Windows when they sell you their product with a Windows os already installed on it). However, so long as the os I wanted was a Windows os, they could get their techs to do the installation (for a hefty fee of course!).

In my opinion, it is up to us to revolt against this Microsoft tyranny by weeding out everything Microsoft from our lives. Use an open source os (like Linux), instead of Windows; use a FREE document and office utility like OpenOffice.org, instead of MS Office Suite; use any other browser besides IE, and so on...

There really should be more of an effort by the Linux community to familiarize the public with Linux operating systems. The biggest reason most people won't switch from Windows is fear of complexity. Many people have never even heard of Linux, or only vaguely have an idea that anything but Windows and Mac exist. The first Linux os I ever used was Fedora Core. I had started taking an interest in hacking about 4 years ago and started reading everything I could on the subject and remember being amazed at the realization that there were alternatives to Windows available (and that most were free!) and that Linux was actually preferred by the hacking community. So I set off to learn about Linux and did a clean install of Fedora Core over my Windows XP os. Unfortunately, I was totally lost at that point! FC was so different from anything I had previously experienced and all the material I could find was inundated with technical jargon. And just saving a document or downloading and installing software was a nightmare! It's sad, but the vast majority of information on Linux is geared at tech-savy network security enthusiasts and shell programmers. Not much out there for the average user.

In any event, enough ranting lol...
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Post by Prince Of The Elite on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:50 pm
([msg=60828]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Maybe you'r right but.... lol, there must be somehow to change the os or even upgrade to a better ms-win edition. I'll try Joli and try out making a usb bootable drive and let you know ....

Prince Of The Elite
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm
([msg=60829]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Install Ubuntu on your HP Mini using Wubi Installer. http://wubi-installer.org/

And life is cake.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EvilGenius72 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:05 am
([msg=60852]see Re: Joli[/msg])

I did this; uninstalled Joli and then installed Ubuntu in its place. Thanks for the link!
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Post by Prince Of The Elite on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:51 am
([msg=60912]see Re: Joli[/msg])

Well, to let you know I've tried instaling win 7 from a usb device. Worked as good as a normal win dvd. Actually I understood that part I didn't before as much enough as needed to explain why you couldn't boot...
Well, the lines said "I: CD BOOT"
"CD BOOT"
That was meant to set the cmd directory to "I:\BOOT\". After doing some quick search, I found that that directory included the file "bootsect.exe" used in the next line. Then that "NT60" -the only yet unsolved question- seems to make the U drive bootable being primary.

Just tried it out and worked fine. Now I can tell you that this only works for win7. Don't know what about the others. Hope I gave something useful :)

Prince Of The Elite
New User
New User

Next

Return to Operating Systems