Hacking Challenge

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Hacking Challenge

Post by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 am
([msg=60753]see Hacking Challenge[/msg])

I started a hacking forum on one of my websites and want to post a link to my site here, but do not know it this would violate the forum rules. When I tried to contact the moderators to ask, it said I wasn't allowed to contact them. So I need to know, would posting a link to my forum constitute as a rule violation?
Last edited by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is not evil; only those who use it for evil intentions are evil.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hacking Challenge

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:53 pm
([msg=60756]see Re: Hacking Challenge[/msg])

You should be able to contact mods, it was probably due to your post count. But it should be fine now.
But as for your question, I don't believe it'd be against ToS. After all it is your website. If your intentions were to have people from here test your site, then this has been done before. We just ask that you prove that the site is yours by throwing a comment in the site letting us know you wrote it.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:23 pm
([msg=60758]see Re: Hacking Challenge[/msg])

Thanks, the website is http://www.jameyson.info. You can see proof that this is my site by going to the Hacking Groups category and viewing the thread titled HTS. I posted this and if you click on my name, you will see I am the site administrator.

-- Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm --
Never mind. I figured it out. Someone is attempting to hack my admin password on my website LMAO. :D

Oh and to whoever was just trying to crack my admin password, it isn't a word, nor is it based on any sort of algorithm; it's just a long string of numbers and letters, both capital and lowercase, which I have memorized. Also, clicking on "forgot password" won't work either, as my account email address and the address I receive notifications from the site are two separate addresses.

EDIT: Merged to make all one post --mShred
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Hacking Challenge

Post by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm
([msg=60761]see Hacking Challenge[/msg])

I have a hacking forum on my website: http://www.jameyson.info, using Simple Machines (coded in PHP). I have done everything I can think of to make my site secure. So now I have an open challenge to anyone with an interest in real-life hacking scenarios to hack my site literally. There are, however, some restrictions:

1. ONLY hack the site itself (in other words, stay away from the cpanel), gaining access to the Admin account;
2. Do NOT alter anything in the site. There is a board titled 'Hacking This Site', with the challenge rules. If you successfully hack the admin account, post in that board while logged in as admin as proof you succeeded.
3. Send me an email detailing exactly HOW you succeeded.

As stated in my website, failure to abide by the rules constitutes a a revocation of my consent and would thus make your hacking attempts illegal. But as long as you agree to abide by the rules of my challenge, you have my consent. Have fun and good luck!

PS: Oh and while you're there trying to figure out how to hack my site, feel free to contribute some material! ;)
Last edited by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:12 pm
([msg=60763]see Re: Hacking Challenge[/msg])

EvilGenius72 wrote:PS: @mods if you combine this post with my other about the Forum Question, would you change the title to this one? Thanks.

Done. FIxed. No more merging.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 pm
([msg=60764]see Re: Hacking Challenge[/msg])

mShred wrote:Done. FIxed. No more merging.

EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Post by Phantom Wolf on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm
([msg=60780]see Re: Hacking Challenge[/msg])

I'm not going to actually try it, but you should read this and see if it applies to you
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by EvilGenius72 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:14 am
([msg=60818]see Re: Hacking Challenge[/msg])

Additional information about my site (inspired by a recent message I received asking about the hosting and informing me of some login error).

The site is not hosted locally. I am running a Windows os and while I know you can host your material locally using the IIS, there are too many vulnerabilities in Windows, not to mention my comp is a netbook and doesn't have an abundance of memory and with my ISP, my bandwidth is limited. So I am using public server on a Linux platform. In any event, as long as you don't attempt to hack the cpanel, my hosting co does not have an issue with my site being hacked (as I am giving permission for you to do so).

The rest of my response to the message is as follows:

" The software running my site is Simple Machines and has nothing to do with the hosting co. However, while I know SMF can be hacked (I have a friend who loves hacking them; he found some vulnerability in the software about 6 months ago and has hacked 4 of the SMF forums that I know of), it takes some persistence and a lot of research to find it's vulnerabilities.

As for the error in logging in, I'll change the settings some and hopefully it fixes the problem. Try again in a few hours and let me know if the problem still exists."
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Return to Comments & Suggestions