LAN - Network Drive

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am
([msg=60449]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Just google: kde vs. gnome


Cheers. :)

So It's just a different type of desktop, or am I wrong?

Uhm it said something about libraries, well, you can use all programs on kde that is made for gnome and vise versa, but you have to have the right libraries needed, how would I ensure that I have these libraries? Are they just some sort of config files?

Very off-topic tho, but you seem to have quite some experience about this as well.
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 am
([msg=60450]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

lol, I think you hijacked your own thread. Anyways, the main difference between the 2(kde & gnome) is basically superficial. Look and feel. From desktop you would navigate different ways to get to the desired location, application, or program. As far as the libraries go I'm not 100% sure about that, maybe someone else could help you out. If you do use one application in both it would probably look different but sill have the same functionality.

The main experience and reason for using/learning linux (at least in my eyes) is to become familiar working in the terminal and different shells. Honestly, the only time I use the desktop is when I'm searching the web. Mostly everything else can be done from within terminal. I've used both kde an gnome and prefer gnome. It will probably take a little getting used to, but i'm guessing that's what you signed up for.
User avatar
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 pm
([msg=60454]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:lol, I think you hijacked your own thread. Anyways, the main difference between the 2(kde & gnome) is basically superficial. Look and feel. From desktop you would navigate different ways to get to the desired location, application, or program. As far as the libraries go I'm not 100% sure about that, maybe someone else could help you out. If you do use one application in both it would probably look different but sill have the same functionality.

The main experience and reason for using/learning linux (at least in my eyes) is to become familiar working in the terminal and different shells. Honestly, the only time I use the desktop is when I'm searching the web. Mostly everything else can be done from within terminal. I've used both kde an gnome and prefer gnome. It will probably take a little getting used to, but i'm guessing that's what you signed up for.


Lol, looks like it, but what the heck the problem is solved, and this is very useful information for me and really helps me out on what to go for.

I downloaded Backtrack 5 (gnome), I think I would be better off with 4, but I can't find it any were that look safe to download from, but really I'm not sure about it, so I guess starting off with 5 is better anyways in the long term.

Uhm.. Yea well guess that solves it all for now then! I will do some more reading up about those libraries in case I will end up getting trouble with it later on.

Oh, and one last question! As I'm doing this all with my USB-pen, what happens if I download things when running Ubuntu or w/e? Will it take space on my USB-pen? (which I think, but I'm not sure) and if I download something, will it still be there if I reboot or will it just go blank and start from scratch unless I actually install Ubuntu on my computer?
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:40 pm
([msg=60456]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

I believe it saves it to any extra allocated space on the pendrive install so it would take up space on your usb. Just test it out with a simple "hello world" text file. The live cd would not save after reboot as anything saved would be stored in the RAM. As for the backtrack 4 download it looks like they only provide the 5th version. It's probably better off.
User avatar
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by tremor77 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:46 pm
([msg=60458]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

If you wanted to create network drives across your network on various OS and lets say you have Home instead of Premium, or different workgroups, etc.. you can bypass all that with VBScript startups.. create a vbscript like "startup.vbs" and put it machines startup folder (we're talking windows primarily, you can do similar with a bash script for a linux) - here is how I bridge some shares on my home network. This assumes of course you have assigned your networked machines static LAN IP's instead of using DHCP.

Code: Select all
If youoption explicit
on error resume next
dim oShell, oNetwork

Set oShell=WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell")

WScript.Sleep 15000 'Allow network services to start
set oNetwork=wscript.createobject ("wscript.network")

oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "w:"
oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "x:"
oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "y:"
oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "z:"

WScript.Sleep 10000

oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "w:", "\\192.168.1.101\Shared", false, "username1", "password1"
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "x:", "\\192.168.1.102\Files", false, "username2", "password2"
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "y:", "\\192.168.1.103\mp3", false, "username3", "password3"
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\192.168.1.104\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"
Image
User avatar
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: New York
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 pm
([msg=60459]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:
Code: Select all
If youoption explicit
on error resume next
dim oShell, oNetwork

Set oShell=WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell")

WScript.Sleep 15000 'Allow network services to start
set oNetwork=wscript.createobject ("wscript.network")

oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "w:"
oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "x:"
oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "y:"
oNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "z:"

WScript.Sleep 10000

oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "w:", "\\192.168.1.101\Shared", false, "username1", "password1"
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "x:", "\\192.168.1.102\Files", false, "username2", "password2"
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "y:", "\\192.168.1.103\mp3", false, "username3", "password3"
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\192.168.1.104\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"


"\\192.168.1.104\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"
"\\192.168.1.104\pronz"
pronz"
Hehe, I guess this is a script you use yourself, hmm? ;p

Anyways, thanks for the optional idea, uhm, so since I'm running DHCP instead of static IP, will I need to redo everything once I reboot my computers unless they are signed to the same IP as before?

If not then I'll just let it stay the way it is for now as it works fabulous! :)

LoGiCaL__ wrote:I believe it saves it to any extra allocated space on the pendrive install so it would take up space on your usb. Just test it out with a simple "hello world" text file. The live cd would not save after reboot as anything saved would be stored in the RAM. As for the backtrack 4 download it looks like they only provide the 5th version. It's probably better off.

Okay cheers!

I can only find the 5th version too on the official page, but I've found a few other torrents and direct downloads with V4, but I'm not sure if they are safe so can't bother.

Anyways, time for a reboot as everything looks clear and ready for use! :)
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by tremor77 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm
([msg=60461]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

This -could- work as a substitute on a DHCP setup

Code: Select all
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\computername\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"


assuming the computer name translates and is reachable using that method on your network. In the case of 2 machines on separate workgroups, or 1 machine on a domain and another on a workgroup, that may not always be the case.. specifically if the machine in question is of another OS type.

and in reference to the 'pronz' directory - nice catch.. I just did that on purpose to see who would see it and say something..
Image
User avatar
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: New York
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:44 pm
([msg=60462]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:This -could- work as a substitute on a DHCP setup

Code: Select all
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\computername\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"


assuming the computer name translates and is reachable using that method on your network. In the case of 2 machines on separate workgroups, or 1 machine on a domain and another on a workgroup, that may not always be the case.. specifically if the machine in question is of another OS type.

and in reference to the 'pronz' directory - nice catch.. I just did that on purpose to see who would see it and say something..


Haha. Excuses, excuses..

I worked it all out with the first script, cheers, everything is as smooth as it can be! :)

The only thing I'm wondering about in the script is the false as used here:
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\192.168.1.104\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"

I don't see what it does in this script, what would happen if I changed them all to true?

Second, I just booted Linux and a few other stuff from my USB-pen to see if it worked, and it all did.
But, it only saves to my RAM, as mentioned earlier in a few post back, so I have the option to install Linux or w/e other program I want to save things on, on my HDD, but I got all my HDD's in use, with a windows OS, so will it all crash if I install on one of them? Or will it just make another folder for it and everything will work as normal?
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by centip3de on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:24 pm
([msg=60466]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

iistapp wrote:
tremor77 wrote:This -could- work as a substitute on a DHCP setup

Code: Select all
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\computername\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"


assuming the computer name translates and is reachable using that method on your network. In the case of 2 machines on separate workgroups, or 1 machine on a domain and another on a workgroup, that may not always be the case.. specifically if the machine in question is of another OS type.

and in reference to the 'pronz' directory - nice catch.. I just did that on purpose to see who would see it and say something..


Haha. Excuses, excuses..

I worked it all out with the first script, cheers, everything is as smooth as it can be! :)

The only thing I'm wondering about in the script is the false as used here:
oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "z:", "\\192.168.1.104\pronz", false, "username4", "password4"

I don't see what it does in this script, what would happen if I changed them all to true?

Second, I just booted Linux and a few other stuff from my USB-pen to see if it worked, and it all did.
But, it only saves to my RAM, as mentioned earlier in a few post back, so I have the option to install Linux or w/e other program I want to save things on, on my HDD, but I got all my HDD's in use, with a windows OS, so will it all crash if I install on one of them? Or will it just make another folder for it and everything will work as normal?



Are you asking if you install Linux on one of your HDD's running Window's? If it is indeed that, nope, that's perfectly fine, just make sure you make a partition that Window's is on, and one Linux is on. It's called "duel booting", used all the time (I've seen somebody "seven boot" O.O)!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: LAN - Network Drive

Post by iistapp on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:51 pm
([msg=60468]see Re: LAN - Network Drive[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Are you asking if you install Linux on one of your HDD's running Window's? If it is indeed that, nope, that's perfectly fine, just make sure you make a partition that Window's is on, and one Linux is on. It's called "duel booting", used all the time (I've seen somebody "seven boot" O.O)!

Cheers, that was indeed what I was sort of asking for, but I see what I have to do, I totally forgot I could make more partitions, but the thing is, I've already used up all my space on my HDD's for windows.

So, does that mean I have to format my whole drive? or can I somehow "remove" some unused space - format - and make a new partition for Linux?
User avatar
iistapp
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Norway
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron