Better to leave computer on or not?

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Better to leave computer on or not?

Post by terencemckenna on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 am
([msg=54103]see Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

Which is better for your hardware? To leave your desktop PC on all the time, or to switch off when you aren't using it?
This is kinda a stupid question but there are two sides to it.
Firstly: If you look on the packaging box of your motherboard, which it came with, it will tell you the amount of hours that the components on the motherboard are supposed to last. Thus this implies that the hardware can only last a certain amount of hours physically and then switching the computer off when you aren't using it would make sense.

Then there are things like this that people will tell you:
"Excessive heat is more of a danger than the number of times you turn the computer off and on."

I'm specifically asking about a desktop PC, not laptop where there are other factors like battery etc.
terencemckenna
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Better to leave computer on or not?

Post by Phantom Wolf on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:01 am
([msg=54104]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

I would say that depends on the size of the box, if it's a slip desktop or a traditional size. Either way, though, it's probably better to leave it off.
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 am
([msg=54106]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

personally, i always turn my computer off when not using it. Apparently turning the computer on and off isn't good for the HDD. However, consider the RAM and the cache and all that stuff. Memory leaks would be a real pain when you never turn the computer off
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Assassian360 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:02 am
([msg=54108]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

It really depends on multiple factors.

* Do you have a reason why it would need to be on all the time?
* Have you considered using "sleep" or "hibernate" instead of standard shutdown?
* What sort of cooling does your case have?
* What sort of components do you have? Higher end components are more likely to need better cooling for long term "on" status.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Post by terencemckenna on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 am
([msg=54109]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

I'm not really into torrents so my computer has no reason to be on 24/7...i just like it when it is on then i can just arrive at home and log on immediately...I dual boot so starting up takes a while.

Got a graphics card and sound card and regular cooler master fans for cooling.
Thanks for the input everyone.
terencemckenna
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Vulpine on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:19 am
([msg=54110]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

terencemckenna wrote:Firstly: If you look on the packaging box of your motherboard, which it came with, it will tell you the amount of hours that the components on the motherboard are supposed to last. Thus this implies that the hardware can only last a certain amount of hours physically and then switching the computer off when you aren't using it would make sense.

That's the no-brainer part. All electrical equipment has a shelf life. Fortunately, as long as you've purchased moderately decent hardware, you stand a very good chance of upgrading your system long before it physically wears out.

terencemckenna wrote:Then there are things like this that people will tell you:
"Excessive heat is more of a danger than the number of times you turn the computer off and on."

Heat build-up is a negligible concern if you have reasonable cooling to begin with and perform regular maintenance on your box i.e., blow your vents out, remove dust and particle build-up. Turning your computer on used to be a stressful procedure but hardware has advanced since the 80's - 90's. Manufacturers still need to cover their asses, though, so it's not unreasonable to see those shelf life labels. Turn it off, leave it on, or whatever. You'll be fine either way, barring cheap components.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by hellow533 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am
([msg=54112]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

I leave mine on all the time.. Unless I'm going on vacation, or leaving for a weekend.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:14 pm
([msg=54123]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:I leave mine on all the time.. Unless I'm going on vacation, or leaving for a weekend.

Im in the same boat.'

Technically, it's probably better to turn it off when not in use. Will it give a noticeable effect in real life? Probably not, unless you're using excessively cheap, ultra-heat sensitive components (which are pretty rare these days anyway, barring shoddily made laptops).
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by rotkreiger on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:54 pm
([msg=54484]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

Conveniently speaking, it's always nice to run scan's while you are asleep, so you just don't have to deal with it.

Hardware wise, wear and tear is always going to take place. Whether its drawing energy all at once upon turning it on, or just running.

The real question you should ask, is how much it effects your electric bill, and does it really make a difference?
"The power of rulers lies in their laws. Break their laws and they have no power."
rotkreiger
New User
New User

Post by Automatiic on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 am
([msg=60121]see Re: Better to leave computer on or not?[/msg])

It's better to leave it on and this is why:
As some users have already mentioned, turning the computer on and off is bad for components. But the real reason it is bad hasn't been mentioned. Ever notice the intentional gaps in sidewalks? Why are they there? Basically, when it gets hot outside, the concrete expands. If those gaps weren't there, the concrete would have no room to expand and would, therefore, crack. Your PC Components go through the same thing with a few exceptions. A.) They don't have nice gaps and B.) they get a lot hotter. The constant expansion and contraction of those parts from extreme heat and then room temperature will wear your parts out very quickly and since your computer can't be turned on and running at room temperature, it is better to leave it running. Constant temperature is best and for a computer, that constant temperature is hot. Just make sure you keep the computer cool, have good ventilation, clean out dust and keep it elevated so it picks up less dust.
Automatiic
New User
New User

Next

Return to Hardware