Social Engineering 101

Want to present an OFFICIAL HTS lecture? MANDATORY approval is required prior to presentation. Post here for approval!

Re: Social Engineering 101

Post by conscience on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:57 pm
([msg=58510]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

JoeyPardella wrote:living in europe
+1 ;)
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by acevic on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:33 pm
([msg=58521]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

I'd definitely do it on a weekend, when most users are free to attend. I'll have a vote on IRC to find out when it's best preferred. For now, comment on this post and let me know your preferences and extra requests (if any)
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by conscience on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 pm
([msg=58525]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

My timeline is definitely random() so the actual scheduling does not really make a difference to me -- I'll just leave it for others :D
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 am
([msg=59537]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

Could any mod be so kind as to give me a hand with this one? Goatboy is gone now and I have no idea how this is going to go IF it goes at all...
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:09 pm
([msg=59541]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

acevic wrote:Could any mod be so kind as to give me a hand with this one? Goatboy is gone now and I have no idea how this is going to go IF it goes at all...

I'd say ask Sandy or Faz to push for it. But idunno.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by acevic on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 pm
([msg=59545]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

I'm usually not on IRC the same time as Sanddbox so I really don't get the chance to ask. Hence the post. A lone lecture is also boring and class-like. I prefer more of a discussion type approach. In other words, I'd really prefer some contributors as well.
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Vulpine on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 pm
([msg=59981]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

Bumping and replying from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7665.

acevic wrote:I would not use the term "help", rather additions to the lecture. I will be covering the stated topics and a few more. I would like people to join me rather than doing a solo because in my opinion solo lectures are just creepy lol.

Damn. I completely forgot about the depth that you were going to delve into. I don't think I could even begin to offer additional information that would compare to yours but I would be more than happy to help it be more of a discussion than a lecture by putting my social anxieties aside long enough to ask questions and interject with personal observations of the topics that you cover.

I don't know if that's quite the help that you would be looking for but my experiences with SE are purely anecdotal cases of people watching, personal social faux pas (as I'm a shining example of how to not get along), and the little sociology and psychology that I've read. At any rate, it's on the table but don't feel like you need to settle.

As long as you pick a time that's outside of bankers' hours, I'll most definitely attend.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm
([msg=59987]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

acevic wrote:Social engineering is a science unique to it's individual subject regardless of pattern study. The more views and experiences we discuss, the better. For example, I have seen from the social engineering forum, that Goatboy has come across multiple 419 scams, such as the Nigerian e-mails. Even though that is a common scenario, I'm sure we all have faced different scenarios at some point of time. I have experience in professional social engineering from recon and raid operations during my military service. Using all our experiences, I believe we can make a very dynamic and informative lecture from which we will be covering the most possible on social engineering.

^This.

If you have anything further to add from your own experiences, you are welcome to do so. If possible, someone could also cover the aspects of SE in business.

I've been working on this for weeks now and have come up with a few great supporting materials such as presentations and videos, a text based version of the lecture and various workshops which will be provided prior to, during and after the lecture itself. I want this to be a great learning experience and if possible, the best lecture yet. This should be the first of many more lectures to come and hence I have picked a simple topic even a layman can decipher. I need this to gain some publicity before I can post actual dates and I need the staff and community to help me do so.

Forward with the movement to revive HTS!
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Gatito on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm
([msg=60007]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

@acevic

You've taken this pretty seriously, I'm really impressed and deeply moved :D . I too think that we should make it more like a talk between friends rather than having you do all the work, although you still have to do most of it I'm afraid.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 pm
([msg=60013]see Re: Social Engineering 101[/msg])

I'm glad to see this start to take off. I had the opportunity to attend the last "set" of lectures and it was worth while. It was basically just everyone who was there introduces their self and who ever was speaking spoke, and if anyone had anything to add they did. Also, there was a Q & A aspect of the lecture.

Basically, the lecture could be summed up by, 1)go to irc to chat whith others while the person is talking(#lectures), and 2)join ventrilo to listen/communicate. Afterwards there was just a "hang around and talk about whatever session". The irc portion is for people who could join ventrilo and hear, but who didn't have a mic. They could ask questions that way. Obviously if you had a mic you would ask a question or chime in on ventrilo.

My hats off to you. Looking forward to attending.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to OFFICIAL Lecture Approvals