Netbook help / Questions

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Netbook help / Questions

Post by Hacks16 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 pm
([msg=59370]see Netbook help / Questions[/msg])

Hello guys, I am very new to the forums, and have been doing the challenges for most of the day, and I am very interested in learning more about hacking, linux, and programming. I plan to learn all aspects of hacking just for personal enjoyment. I have decided that I will get a netbook for the sole purpose of my hacking activities because from what I hear, this is the easiest way to go about it. I am planning on purchasing this netbook: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230063

Now my questions for you all are the following:
1. Will it run linux without issues, and if so, can someone point me in the right direction as to what version to use? I have never actually used or installed linux on any computer, and that is why I am buying the netbook to try it out.
2. Will the wireless card in this unit be able to handle packet injection, along with Aircrack-ng?
3. Does anyone have a better recommendation as to what netbook/laptop that I should purchase to only use for hacking? My budget is anything under 500, but I want something that will work well. I do not really want to purchase something that will run poorly or slowly while hacking or running linux.

Thank you for any help that you all have to offer, and I hope I am posting this in the right section, because as I said, I am new! :geek:

-- Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:44 pm --

After a very long phone call with Asus support, they told me that the wireless chipset in the netbook is Azurewave.
Hacks16
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Netbook help / Questions

Post by mShred on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:50 pm
([msg=59373]see Re: Netbook help / Questions[/msg])

Hacks16 wrote:Hello guys, I am very new to the forums, and have been doing the challenges for most of the day, and I am very interested in learning more about hacking, linux, and programming. I plan to learn all aspects of hacking just for personal enjoyment. I have decided that I will get a netbook for the sole purpose of my hacking activities because from what I hear, this is the easiest way to go about it. I am planning on purchasing this netbook: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230063

1. Will it run linux without issues, and if so, can someone point me in the right direction as to what version to use? I have never actually used or installed linux on any computer, and that is why I am buying the netbook to try it out.
2. Will the wireless card in this unit be able to handle packet injection, along with Aircrack-ng?
3. Does anyone have a better recommendation as to what netbook/laptop that I should purchase to only use for hacking? My budget is anything under 500, but I want something that will work well. I do not really want to purchase something that will run poorly or slowly while hacking or running linux.

Thank you for any help that you all have to offer, and I hope I am posting this in the right section, because as I said, I am new! :geek:

After a very long phone call with Asus support, they told me that the wireless chipset in the netbook is Azurewave.

Pues... It's a computer. It'll run linux. Now network drivers and the sort are a different story. That depends on what drivers the computer is using, and whether the OS can make use of them.
I highly doubt the default stock drivers can support packet injection. But AWUS036H is very good, as Goatboy once pointed out to me. In all seriousness, yeah it sucks having to buy more hardware, but it's only like thirty dollars and it's completely worth it. As a matter of fact, I'm using mine right now for my Arch partition.
I'm not gonna recommend any specific computer or brand, because i really don't care about that all too much. What you're looking for is RAM (memory), processing speed, and space. So buy to your needs my friend.
Last edited by mShred on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Hacks16 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:00 pm
([msg=59374]see Re: Netbook help / Questions[/msg])

mShred wrote:
Hacks16 wrote:Hello guys, I am very new to the forums, and have been doing the challenges for most of the day, and I am very interested in learning more about hacking, linux, and programming. I plan to learn all aspects of hacking just for personal enjoyment. I have decided that I will get a netbook for the sole purpose of my hacking activities because from what I hear, this is the easiest way to go about it. I am planning on purchasing this netbook: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230063

Pues... It's a computer. It'll run linux. Now network drivers and the sort are a different story. That depends on what drivers the computer is using, and whether the OS can make use of them.
I highly doubt the default stock drivers can support packet injection. But AWU036H is very good, as Goatboy once pointed out to me. In all seriousness, yeah it sucks having to buy more hardware, but it's only like thirty dollars and it's completely worth it. As a matter of fact, I'm using mine right now for my Arch partition.
I'm not gonna recommend any specific computer or brand, because i really don't care about that all too much. What you're looking for is RAM (memory), processing speed, and space. So buy to your needs my friend.

Well I have a 1TB external drive, but is 1.66ghz with a 1MB cache + 2Gigs of ram enough? And like I said I am new, so would I be able to install AWU036H ( Whatever this is... :lol: ) onto this netbook? I do not know much at all about injection, but I really want to learn, and plan to as soon as I have a system capable of doing so.
Hacks16
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:01 am
([msg=59390]see Re: Netbook help / Questions[/msg])

Well its acceptable. I don't know if you're going for a really good comptuer or not. My laptop has 3.7 gigs of RAM and a 2.3 Ghz processor. And that's alright.
As for the AWU036H. You'll be able to install the driver just fine. But installation depends on what OS you're running. As for packet injection, Google has a lot of things dealing with it that could help you more than I could.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hacks16 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:51 pm
([msg=59412]see Re: Netbook help / Questions[/msg])

mShred wrote:Well its acceptable. I don't know if you're going for a really good comptuer or not. My laptop has 3.7 gigs of RAM and a 2.3 Ghz processor. And that's alright.
As for the AWU036H. You'll be able to install the driver just fine. But installation depends on what OS you're running. As for packet injection, Google has a lot of things dealing with it that could help you more than I could.

You have those specs in a netbook? And as for OS, I plan to run Ubuntu at the moment, but I will continue to research other versions of linux to find the best version for this type of activity.
Hacks16
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 am
([msg=59441]see Re: Netbook help / Questions[/msg])

Noo on my laptop.
But your default drivers will probably have their best chance working with Ubuntu. If not, AWUS036H works with it, i know as a fact.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Hardware