The XBox 360 Hacking Thread

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

The XBox 360 Hacking Thread

Post by fishtits on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 pm
([msg=52120]see The XBox 360 Hacking Thread[/msg])

First time I discovered the fact that games consoles are severely limited by default was when I bought a Nintendo DS and ordered an adapter that let me access MicroSD cards. Suddenly I was able to read ebooks, look at pictures, watch videos, listen to music, play homebrew games, use various apps like paint and wordpad etc. I was fairly amazed to find that the DS could do all this but not without hacking it since the manufacturers didn't build in any hardware and software to let people do all this. I just got an XBox 360 and I can see Microsoft severely limited what you can do with these things by default too. I plugged in an Ext3 external harddrive and it wouldn't even detect it. I connected to my wlan and looked for my linux shares but it didn't detect any. From what I've read you aren't able to transfer videos onto the harddrive and you can't play games stored on the harddrive without having the DVD which all makes the 250GB harddrive seem fairly useless. As far as I know hacking your own XBox is legal so theres no good reason not to get rid of these limitations.

Firstly I'm thinking of installing linux on a separate partition so I can keep the default OS for playing games and other stuff. Once I have that installed I'm guessing I've got rid of a large percentage of the limitations. Anyone here have an XBox 360?
fishtits
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The XBox 360 Hacking Thread

Post by mShred on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm
([msg=52122]see Re: The XBox 360 Hacking Thread[/msg])

I've got a 360. If you figure out how to do all that, you let me know. I've been looking into 360 modding and what not. I've taken it apart and all that good stuff. I think i saw online somewhere that it supports SATA. So that'll be your best bet for hooking it up to a desktop. I haven't gotten that far yet, and I've got the 4gb slim so i can't do much with it for right now.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Defience on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm
([msg=52124]see Re: The XBox 360 Hacking Thread[/msg])

I have an Xbox 360 and using a flash drive and Modio, I modded my Red Dead Redemption profile to rank of 50 with golden guns. Other than that and NetFlix, I haven't bothered with anything else.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-i-install-linux-on-my-xbox.html
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by BiggerJawz on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 pm
([msg=59248]see Re: The XBox 360 Hacking Thread[/msg])

I have one but i hardly play it its more of a glorified DVD player to me.

Though i had a go at modding one a couple of years ago for it to play backed up games. It was really just opening it, connect the DVD/CD drive via SATA to your PC and flash it with some custom firmware. Though XboxScene.com is great for all that stuff.

As for it being legal I dont know. The guy who broke the security on the PS3 was taken to court by Sony but the way i see it, you payed the money for it, therefore you own it so you can do what you like with it. Though if you do flash your xbox with custom firmware or stick Linux on it prepare to be banned from Xbox Live eventually.
BiggerJawz
New User
New User

Post by Endg4m3 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 am
([msg=60654]see Re: The XBox 360 Hacking Thread[/msg])

The guy that hacked the PS3, Geohot, only got in trouble because he distributed a patch over the internet that allowed anyone to do more with the PS3 than Sony wanted. I think they were worried about people playing pirated games. If you hack your 360 in the comfort of your own home and don't flaunt a jailbreak in Microsoft's face, you are probably fine. But you may get banned from Xbox live. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet. I have heard of J-tagging or something like that that is really fun. I think the 360's fast GPU would be fun to play with.
Endg4m3
New User
New User

Post by iEpIc221 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 am
([msg=62319]see Re: The XBox 360 Hacking Thread[/msg])

Endg4m3 wrote:The guy that hacked the PS3, Geohot, only got in trouble because he distributed a patch over the internet that allowed anyone to do more with the PS3 than Sony wanted. I think they were worried about people playing pirated games. If you hack your 360 in the comfort of your own home and don't flaunt a jailbreak in Microsoft's face, you are probably fine. But you may get banned from Xbox live. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet. I have heard of J-tagging or something like that that is really fun. I think the 360's fast GPU would be fun to play with.

Yeah, my friends J-Tag and it does make the experience a lot more fun :lol:
iEpIc221
New User
New User

Return to Hardware