What do you believe in?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: What do you believe in?

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:49 am
([msg=59218]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:But saying that creationism has a shred of credibility flies in the face of decades and mountains of scientific research. We know, beyond any doubt, that the world is not 6000 years old and that evolution is in the same ballpark as cell theory, germ theory, the theory of gravity, heliocentric theory, and all manner of electrical theory. No system of beliefs required when you have evidence to support a claim.

Wrong.

Science does NOT completely disagree with the *possibility* of a god. Einstein's relative time basically proves anything is really possible. Granted, we can disagree that the world is not 6000 years old but that doesn't prove anything past that.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Vulpine on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 am
([msg=59228]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Science does NOT completely disagree with the *possibility* of a god. Einstein's relative time basically proves anything is really possible. Granted, we can disagree that the world is not 6000 years old but that doesn't prove anything past that.

I never said that it does or doesn't. Scientists are well aware that you can't prove a negative; there is either evidence in support of, or there isn't. But admitting the possibility of a god (small "G", loose definition) doesn't make certain belief systems (creationism) any more credible. There's a huge difference between believing in some god that started the Big Bang and sat back to let the universe take its course with evolution, or believing that everything is 6000 years old, all life was created in 7 days, and that all fossils are the handy work of the Devil.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by nerdprodg on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 am
([msg=59230]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Man, this is kinda nice... Other religious forums out there are filled with trolls...
nerdprodg
New User
New User

Post by knownerror on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:33 pm
([msg=59234]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Pythous wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:I'm Agnostic because I'm too logical to be atheist.

^This, I don't believe in God, but outright denying the possibility of creationism would be sinking to the same self-assured devotion to my beliefs that most religious people have. The bottom line is that there is no way to prove or disprove any belief system and to say that you know which one is right is complete idiocy.

The thing is that Science at least has proof that it exists
knownerror
New User
New User

Post by Pythous on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm
([msg=59236]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

knownerror wrote:
Pythous wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:I'm Agnostic because I'm too logical to be atheist.
<br><br>^This, I don't believe in God, but outright denying the possibility of creationism would be sinking to the same self-assured devotion to my beliefs that most religious people have. The bottom line is that there is no way to prove or disprove any belief system and to say that you know which one is right is complete idiocy.
<br><br>The thing is that Science at least has proof that it exists

I understand that. like I said, I don't believe in god. There is pretty much nothing about creationism that can't be disproved with science. If someone were to analyze my beliefs then they would most likely conclude that I'm an atheist; but I don't consider myself one because most atheists I know are as close-minded as Christians about other belief-systems. I'm not going to label myself with a belief system that doesn't allow for any other possibilities, if there is no definitive way to prove it to be true.
We did not invent the algorithm.
The algorithm consistently finds Jesus.
The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China.
The algorithm is from Jersey.
The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Pythous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by nerdprodg on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:38 pm
([msg=59240]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

If someone were to analyze my beliefs then they would most likely conclude that I'm an atheist; but I don't consider myself one because most atheists I know are as close-minded as Christians about other belief-systems. I'm not going to label myself with a belief system that doesn't allow for any other possibilities, if there is no definitive way to prove it to be true.

Yeah.. not all christians out there too are close-minded and hell-bent that everyone else is going to hell... Just their luck they had to share their name with those close minded ppl.. No choice really... Streotypes are sad reality
nerdprodg
New User
New User

Post by Pythous on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:25 pm
([msg=59242]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Yeah I didn't mean to generalize there, I was talking more about the fundamentalist, world is 6000 years old, dinosaurs are Jesus ponies, type that is common where I live.
We did not invent the algorithm.
The algorithm consistently finds Jesus.
The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China.
The algorithm is from Jersey.
The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Pythous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Vulpine on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:05 pm
([msg=59245]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Sounds like we're all finding different ways to say the same thing. Bloody semantics.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by VPR3 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:10 pm
([msg=59250]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

There is one simple fact. You will die. You'll know then if there's anything to religion.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by knownerror on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 pm
([msg=59367]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I understand that. like I said, I don't believe in god. There is pretty much nothing about creationism that can't be disproved with science. If someone were to analyze my beliefs then they would most likely conclude that I'm an atheist; but I don't consider myself one because most atheists I know are as close-minded as Christians about other belief-systems. I'm not going to label myself with a belief system that doesn't allow for any other possibilities, if there is no definitive way to prove it to be true.

I am atheist because currently in our human situation it is the only logical way to think, no need to go and start assuming things. Sure you can keep your mind open but there isn't anything to fill that for what we know.
knownerror
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion