Need external HDD

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Need external HDD

Post by AZ_ on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:55 pm
([msg=58963]see Need external HDD[/msg])

Want an external HDD to host several backups for several hosts on my network. Anyone recommend any? Raptor?
AZ_
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Need external HDD

Post by mShred on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm
([msg=58970]see Re: Need external HDD[/msg])

I've got a WD Smartware or something like that. Western Digital is pretty good. And it's not too hard to turn it into an internal drive if you need it. You can get those things in like terrabytes too but i've just got 500Gbs.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Assassian360 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:35 pm
([msg=58974]see Re: Need external HDD[/msg])

Yeah, I like my western digital drives for external storage. I keep about 7TB of external storage hooked up to my computer most of the time, and they are all western digital.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 pm
([msg=58980]see Re: Need external HDD[/msg])

Step 1: Find cheap desktop with a gigabit ethernet card.

Step 2: Buy cheap, high storage drives for you to install in it.

Step 3: Install Linux and Samba for shared storage.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by rajival on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:38 am
([msg=60874]see Re: Need external HDD[/msg])

It's surprising you guys are recommending WD. I just have a very bad experience with them. I have a WD 500GB Passport external HDD, it seemed to be working okay during the first few weeks but it was corrupted all of a sudden. I said "Okay, maybe something just went completely wrong and I'm gonna wipe it off, it should work okay after." But the thing is after another week or two, it was corrupted again and I couldn't recover any of my files. I also noticed it asks for installation when you use it to others PCs. I swore to myself that I would never grab any Western Digital stuff again, be it external or internal. As in NEVER again.
rajival
New User
New User

Post by JoeyPardella on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:57 am
([msg=60887]see Re: Need external HDD[/msg])

I have a WD Elements 1TB and it has been working well for 2 month now. So far I'm really happy with it.
JoeyPardella
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mShred on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:21 am
([msg=60893]see Re: Need external HDD[/msg])

rajival wrote:It's surprising you guys are recommending WD. I just have a very bad experience with them. I have a WD 500GB Passport external HDD, it seemed to be working okay during the first few weeks but it was corrupted all of a sudden. I said "Okay, maybe something just went completely wrong and I'm gonna wipe it off, it should work okay after." But the thing is after another week or two, it was corrupted again and I couldn't recover any of my files. I also noticed it asks for installation when you use it to others PCs. I swore to myself that I would never grab any Western Digital stuff again, be it external or internal. As in NEVER again.

Probably just bad luck I'd say. I had a WD fuck me in the butt too. Hard drive failed, so i went back and backed up everything i could. Then next time i rebooted, my hard drive was done.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Hardware