Starting from scratch

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Starting from scratch

Post by Knoble on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:06 am
([msg=58830]see Starting from scratch[/msg])

I've been using Ubuntu as my first *nix OS and I'm pretty comfortable with commands, permissions...all the basics, but there is just so much *EXTRA shit that I don't use, and more importantly don't understand. I want to start out with the bare minimum and I was just wondering: 1. What are the bare essentials for a unix machine. i.e. kernel, drivers...and how can I delve into understanding them more thoroughly? 2. What Unix flavor is most fitted for what I'm looking for?

THx
Knoble
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by dist0rted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 am
([msg=58831]see Re: Starting from scratch[/msg])

Slackware would definitely be what you're looking for. The install and such runs at a low level and you can choose specifically what you want installed without any sort of extra software that is out-of-the-ordinary.

(If you can get over the learning hump, you're probably better off with a form of BSD. However, most people find those difficult to get running. I had this problem when I was first learning to use UNIX-based OSes.)

For more information on what it takes to have a system up and running with the bare minimum, check out http://www.gnu.org/ - the GNU Foundation. I recently noticed a page they did on GNU/Linux that will get you in the right direction.

Hope this helps
All knowledge is good; only the way it is put into action can be good or evil. - An ape from the original Planet of the Apes

Feel free to PM
dist0rted
New User
New User

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by b33tr00t on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 am
([msg=58834]see Re: Starting from scratch[/msg])

Hey, I guess you could try Micro Core linux. It's only the bare essentials, no GUI though! There is a delux version called Tiny Core which comes with a basic GUI.
b33tr00t
New User
New User

Return to *nix