IP Masking

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

IP Masking

Post by Knoble on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:59 pm
([msg=55751]see IP Masking[/msg])

I'm a noob. I want to know what topic I should research to understand IP masking/re-routing or whatever the proper name would be. I understand the concept behind proxy servers and such, but what about using servers that aren't dedicated to proxying? i.e. Public servers or proxying through hacked computers...etc. Like i said, I'm a noob so a push in the right direction is all I'm looking for. Thanks
Knoble
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IP Masking

Post by Goatboy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 pm
([msg=55754]see Re: IP Masking[/msg])

Since you said you already know about proxy servers, I'll skip right to compromised hosts and public computers.

A compromised host can be used for many things. Most people think of botnets right away. While they can be used for distributed password cracking, DDoS attacks, and other things, they can also be used as a sort of miniature TOR system. Basically you are using your botnet as a bunch of proxies that you control. Even if you only have one host under your control, you can still configure it to act as a single proxy for you to use.

In terms of public servers, you will probably need to find a flaw in the configuration that allows for proxying without actually compromising the system. I can't recall off the top of my head any techniques that might work here, but look into some of the HTTP methods. I think some of those can be leveraged to proxy. Barring that, you can use a web proxy as opposed to a full HTTP proxy, but those aren't ever as nice.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sodapop101 on Sun May 29, 2011 4:19 pm
([msg=57857]see Re: IP Masking[/msg])

I'm not sure if I'm even answering your question since I too am a noob, but there is a plug-in for Firefox that will allow you to re-route your IP address. I just forget what it's called. :/
sodapop101
New User
New User

Post by ohgoditsgabe on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:03 pm
([msg=58636]see Re: IP Masking[/msg])

Ok, I too am a noob, and require help.

I understand how proxy servers, and VPN's work, but how do I get said compromised host.
Also is there an alternative for proxy servers so it doesnt slow down my network
ohgoditsgabe
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 am
([msg=58637]see Re: IP Masking[/msg])

ohgoditsgabe wrote:I understand how proxy servers, and VPN's work, but how do I get said compromised host.
By rooting it. If you don't know what that means, try Wikipedia. Don't ask us to teach you how. Read up on similar threads in the forum first.
Also is there an alternative for proxy servers so it doesnt slow down my network

Technically, it's not YOUR network that is slowing down. Basically, all you're doing is sending your traffic to someone else first before the final destination (lulz). This is what causes it to be slower. The only alternative would be a VPN but that still could potentially slow you down.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by ohgoditsgabe on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:52 pm
([msg=58708]see Re: IP Masking[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Technically, it's not YOUR network that is slowing down. Basically, all you're doing is sending your traffic to someone else first before the final destination (lulz). This is what causes it to be slower. The only alternative would be a VPN but that still could potentially slow you down.

I knew that, thats what I meant, but look up how to root proxys. Thank You
ohgoditsgabe
New User
New User

Return to Networking