irc discussion

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

irc discussion

Post by spiffomatic64 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:30 pm
([msg=58609]see irc discussion[/msg])

so, I havent been around HTS for sometime now... many many years...

But upon coming back, all im hearing from the irc are users complaining about this recode...

I obviously have no opinion because I havent been around long enough to. But from reading forum posts and listening to irc (while keeping in mind that people tell one-sided stories while angry) Im seeing that all of HTS's attention is being spent on recoding HTS from the ground up?

I think this may be a bit of a waste of time, as there are plenty of already built solutions that are out there, and could save time for (what I consider to be the most important priority of HTS) the challenges.

I think 99% of all users that come to HTS came here in search of "hacking challenges", I know I did.

The whole RootThisBox idea is fun and all... but I also think its kind of missing the point of what HTS is. Hackthissite has always been a first stepping stone for noobs. I first came to HullaBalloo not knowing a single thing about html.

It's sad seeing HTS trying to make itself into something its not.

Also, I wish there was a bigger outreach to the users to help HTS. Not just a "apply here". Im imagining a simple page with a textbox and submit button letting people submit links to their own challenges (application, website, or even just txt doc about a challenge idea) Users could then "like" a challenge, and once in a while HTS staff could take a challenge, audit its code (or just re-implement if they want) and add a new challenge

I know personally, the FIRST thing I did after finishing hackthissite was writing my own missions (albeit very simple ones). I think I was the first person besides jeremy to write missions for HTS. and honestly, how cool would it be to a user to have their own mission on HTS. Serious cred :)

There were some other good ideas in IRC when I brought this up a couple of times:
small paragraph after each mission explaining what they just did (in case they just found the answer online or something) and how it could be used in other ways
less linear missions with multiple vectors
more up-to-date attack vectors
HG said he put together a series of "interactive tutorial" missions... which I think would make a great contribution to the website... as of now we just assume the user figures it out on their own, or goes to the forums... but im sure alot just give up and never try again

But anyway, after all of that. I'd like to propose a nice well-tempered irc discussion if possible with kage/whoever else is part of HTS admin/decision making to hear some of these ideas out, and prioritize with them.

Thoughts?
spiffomatic64
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: irc discussion

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:16 pm
([msg=58614]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

Hey dude. So, Kage has heard all of this before.

I started a thread a while back that got pretty heated and popular. http://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6608&start=0

Kage locked this thread after a few pages of replies.

Cheers,

PS. It's nice seeing an oldie member. :)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Wells on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:28 pm
([msg=58616]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

*sniff*

Do I smell drama?

edit:

Monica my love, where are you?
Wells
New User
New User

Post by Brendan2011 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm
([msg=58617]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

spiffomatic64 wrote:Im seeing that all of HTS's attention is being spent on recoding HTS from the ground up?

Somebody's opinion is somebody's opinion, and we've acknowledged all of the ones brought up to us and continued to take the current course of action.

spiffomatic64 wrote:I think this may be a bit of a waste of time, as there are plenty of already built solutions that are out there

I understand how it can be a waste of time, but it's irrelevant. The recode taking longer to complete than something hacked together from CodeIgniter doesn't affect you what so ever in the mean time.

spiffomatic64 wrote:The whole RootThisBox idea is fun and all... but I also think its kind of missing the point of what HTS is. Hackthissite has always been a first stepping stone for noobs. I first came to HullaBalloo not knowing a single thing about html.

This has been thought about.

The Purpose of HackThisSite

HTS is about gaining skills and RootThisBox is about the execution of those skills.RootThisBox is a environment for testing out your hacker skills in a learning way.

Source: http://recode.hackthissite.org:8080/doku.php?id=hts_overview

spiffomatic64 wrote:Also, I wish there was a bigger outreach to the users to help HTS. Not just a "apply here". Im imagining a simple page with a textbox and submit button letting people submit links to their own challenges (application, website, or even just txt doc about a challenge idea)
There were some other good ideas in IRC when I brought this up a couple of times:
small paragraph after each mission explaining what they just did (in case they just found the answer online or something) and how it could be used in other ways
less linear missions with multiple vectors
more up-to-date attack vectors
HG said he put together a series of "interactive tutorial" missions... which I think would make a great contribution to the website... as of now we just assume the user figures it out on their own, or goes to the forums... but im sure alot just give up and never try again

Also coming in the recode.

spiffomatic64 wrote:But anyway, after all of that. I'd like to propose a nice well-tempered irc discussion if possible with kage/whoever else is part of HTS admin/decision making to hear some of these ideas out, and prioritize with them.

All these ideas have been thought through by the community and staff, and have been written down in the wiki. Perhaps you're just impatient and inattentive to our efforts?
Brendan2011
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm
([msg=58618]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

Perhaps he's just curious as to why seems to be the admin and dev are intent on doing something seemingly completely irrational.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by spiffomatic64 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 pm
([msg=58619]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

Brendan2011 wrote:All these ideas have been thought through by the community and staff, and have been written down in the wiki. Perhaps you're just impatient and inattentive to our efforts?

I didnt see any need to be so standoffish when I was obviously trying to be as polite and helpful as possible.
spiffomatic64
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:56 pm
([msg=58620]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

spiffomatic64 wrote:
Brendan2011 wrote:All these ideas have been thought through by the community and staff, and have been written down in the wiki. Perhaps you're just impatient and inattentive to our efforts?

I didnt see any need to be so standoffish when I was obviously trying to be as polite and helpful as possible.

Don't worry, spiff. That's his thing. Don't take it personally.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by sanddbox on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm
([msg=58621]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

Brendan2011 wrote:
spiffomatic64 wrote:Im seeing that all of HTS's attention is being spent on recoding HTS from the ground up?

Somebody's opinion is somebody's opinion, and we've acknowledged all of the ones brought up to us and continued to take the current course of action.

You would make a great politician.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Brendan2011 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:02 pm
([msg=58624]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

spiffomatic64 wrote:

I apologize, I didn't mean it that way. :oops: Hopefully you can understand when it seems you're making an effort to add something to a project, and you still get criticized for not having it.

sanddbox wrote:
Brendan2011 wrote:

You would make a great politician.

* bren2010 marks down as future career choice.
Brendan2011
New User
New User

Post by spiffomatic64 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:22 pm
([msg=58627]see Re: irc discussion[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
spiffomatic64 wrote:

Don't worry, spiff. That's his thing. Don't take it personally.

no worries obviously I've dealt with more abrasive people. I wanted to let him know that it could be exactly this attitude thats causing a lot of the unrest I was seeing in irc.

After talking with Tyler in irc, I'm going to do what I can to develop new more current challenges to supplement the user base while everyone waits for the recode.

I can understand not wanting to work on the existing site when you are going to throw it all away anyway... so not wanting to add to the existing project creep (suggesting new features to be added and slowing progress) content (missions) would be the one thing that could be harmlessly added to the old site, and moved to the new site without any problem (hopefully)

Feel free to contact me Kage if you want any help sys-admining any of the RTB stuff
spiffomatic64
New User
New User

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions