How to find out what program has crashed

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

How to find out what program has crashed

Post by ampakine on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 pm
([msg=58228]see How to find out what program has crashed[/msg])

I'm on ubuntu and every now and again something happens and the graphical interface becomes unresponsive. Sometimes it all out crashed and I can't even move the mouse pointer but other times its just the firefox and/or nautilus becomes unresponsive to mouse clicks but I can still use Alt + F2 and run programs or Alt + Tab to switch between windows etc. On a couple of occasions the computer was more or less completely frozen for about 15 minutes then I get a message telling me that a javascript script is not responding and gives me the option of force quitting it and after I quit it the computer goes back to normal so I suspect that these crashes are always caused by a program not responding. How can I find out what program is not? I hate forcefully shutting down my laptop cuz this sometimes results in me not being able to mount the harddrive but when it locks up like that I don't know what else to do. If I knew what process was causing the problem I could kill it though. Anyone know how to find out what program is not responding? Preferably with the command line because most of the GUI usually freezes when this happens.
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to find out what program has crashed

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:47 pm
([msg=58230]see Re: How to find out what program has crashed[/msg])

It sounds like Firefox's JavaScript engine is shittin out on you. Try using Chromium.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Re: How to find out what program has crashed

Post by tgoe on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:57 pm
([msg=58238]see Re: How to find out what program has crashed[/msg])

Steps to reproduce the problem? Also, give Opera a try... so cash...
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Return to *nix