What do you after you've generated your encryption key pair?

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

What do you after you've generated your encryption key pair?

Post by ampakine on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 pm
([msg=58127]see What do you after you've generated your encryption key pair?[/msg])

I'm new to cryptography and just installed enigmail for thunderbird. I used the wizard to guide me through everything and setup my encryption key pair but now that i have these keys generated I don't know what to do with them. I haven't even seen them. Firstly my private key, am I suppose to physically write this key down and store it somewhere safe or do I just let enigmail deal with it so that the only thing I have to safeguard is the password I entered when enigmail generated the keys for me?
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What do you after you've generated your encryption key pair?

Post by sanddbox on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm
([msg=58129]see Re: What do you after you've generated your encryption key pair?[/msg])

ampakine wrote:I'm new to cryptography and just installed enigmail for thunderbird. I used the wizard to guide me through everything and setup my encryption key pair but now that i have these keys generated I don't know what to do with them. I haven't even seen them. Firstly my private key, am I suppose to physically write this key down and store it somewhere safe or do I just let enigmail deal with it so that the only thing I have to safeguard is the password I entered when enigmail generated the keys for me?

Your private key is already stored and encrypted by your password. Keep your password safe and give your private key to no one.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Crypto