Soft bug for GPS tracking

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Soft bug for GPS tracking

Post by acevic on Sun May 22, 2011 3:14 am
([msg=57652]see Soft bug for GPS tracking[/msg])

Most modern telecommunications devices have GPS built in. I was wondering if it was somehow possible to exploit the firmware or create a silent application to use the built in GPS system and transmit the data via mobile internet and view the results live on Google Maps? What I had in mind was a type of international tracking system where the client could be tracked regardless of location as long as there is GPS coverage, strictly without the installation of any hardware bug on the client.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Soft bug for GPS tracking

Post by neuromanta on Sun May 22, 2011 6:56 am
([msg=57654]see Re: Soft bug for GPS tracking[/msg])

International tracking system is already implemented, using mobile phone cell data (it is being used by american secret agencies). Using GPS for this would not be good, because no one leaves their gps beacon ON all the time, it consumes much energy. But it woul be more precise than the cell data.
I hope I don't have to tell you that this tracking system is simply evil, it is a massive violation of privacy.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Re: Soft bug for GPS tracking

Post by acevic on Sun May 22, 2011 3:15 pm
([msg=57666]see Re: Soft bug for GPS tracking[/msg])

neuromanta wrote:International tracking system is already implemented, using mobile phone cell data (it is being used by american secret agencies). Using GPS for this would not be good, because no one leaves their gps beacon ON all the time, it consumes much energy. But it woul be more precise than the cell data.
I hope I don't have to tell you that this tracking system is simply evil, it is a massive violation of privacy.

I was thinking of a civil version of the system (my jurisdiction allows it :P). Cell data will never give you a specific location, i.e coordinates. Cell data will tell you where the nearest cell tower is. As for the GPS tracking I was wondering if the soft bug could override the GPS switch in the firmware and invisibly keep it activated while consuming minimal system resources. Also that the GPS system would only be switched on at specified intervals just to provide location updates and save battery power at the same time. I understand the consequences of such a system my friend. Call me curious.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Return to Telecommunications