Perl - Threading and GetOpts

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Perl - Threading and GetOpts

Post by Goatboy on Tue May 10, 2011 8:11 am
([msg=57230]see Perl - Threading and GetOpts[/msg])

Not to suck lick blow my own horn, but I just submitted an article explaining how threading and getopts work. I tried to keep it simple yet informational, and my only hope is that it helps someone along with perl.

/me looks at Dwere134

http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1089
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Perl - Threading and GetOpts

Post by thetan on Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 pm
([msg=57264]see Re: Perl - Threading and GetOpts[/msg])

There really isn't a great way to do this by default. I suppose you could write some pretty barbaric sleep()-based timing system to manage all the tasks, but that is neither elegant nor efficient.

Asynchronous event driven programming works <3

Imagine writing a GUI application where you couldn't refresh an animated object AND click a button at the same time.

Most GUI API's (IE: QT, GTK) are event driven. However, yes you're right most of them sit on a very tiny thread pool (typically 2-3 threads that are constantly re-used and repurposed because thread allocation is expensive)

You can also view javascript as a GUI centric frontend language that itself is event driven and asynchronous. However, javascript famously only uses a single thread for it's event loop

Out of browser implementations of javascript (node.js) allow you to create desktop GUI api's in pure javascript using GTK https://github.com/niklasf/node-ui-gtk/ ... counter.js.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Interpreted Languages