Building my first computer

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Building my first computer

Post by centip3de on Sat May 07, 2011 10:17 pm
([msg=57130]see Building my first computer[/msg])

Hello all, this is my very first computer build, and I was wondering if you could judge my choices of parts from NewEgg. I researched each and made sure all were compatable with each other. This is supposed to be an economic build while still being a higher end system. The parts are as follows:

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131668

CPU/Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103808

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811103011

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139006

Hard Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136514

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145348

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130573

In total this is 782.91 USD

I didn't include the CD/DVD drive because it would be too many URLS and I figured that they weren't that important in the first place.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Building my first computer

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun May 08, 2011 2:49 pm
([msg=57146]see Re: Building my first computer[/msg])

HardForum.com is much bette for opinions on hardware. They know their shit extremely well.

Your build looks good though. You may want to wait for the new Bulldozer AMDs that are coming out soon. The Phenoms are great as well though.

You might want a above standard heat sink for overclocking, as AMDs overclock very well.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Dwere134 on Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 pm
([msg=57349]see Re: Building my first computer[/msg])

I would watch hard drive capacity... 2TB sounds really nice, but for internal hard drives, anything over 500gb-1tb can be somewhat more unstable in my experience.

And also, I don't know what you consider your "system" but if you had only considered internal components, don't FORGET about monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. You may have these already in your possession or what have you, but often times when people build a "system" they forget to include those, considering only the internal components. I'm not saying get fancy about them, just saying to make sure you've accounted for those as well.

My hardware class in college, my teacher made us come up with 3 builds for the class. 1) was a $600 build 2) was a $1000 build and 3) was an unlimited build. We never got to order them of course but he was testing our ability to ensure things were compatible. And we had to include cost of mouse, keyboard, and monitor in the builds. That's why I mentioned it. :P

Otherwise you're looking good dude!
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Thu May 12, 2011 11:41 pm
([msg=57351]see Re: Building my first computer[/msg])

Dwere134 wrote:I would watch hard drive capacity... 2TB sounds really nice, but for internal hard drives, anything over 500gb-1tb can be somewhat more unstable in my experience.

And also, I don't know what you consider your "system" but if you had only considered internal components, don't FORGET about monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. You may have these already in your possession or what have you, but often times when people build a "system" they forget to include those, considering only the internal components. I'm not saying get fancy about them, just saying to make sure you've accounted for those as well.

My hardware class in college, my teacher made us come up with 3 builds for the class. 1) was a $600 build 2) was a $1000 build and 3) was an unlimited build. We never got to order them of course but he was testing our ability to ensure things were compatible. And we had to include cost of mouse, keyboard, and monitor in the builds. That's why I mentioned it. :P

Hahaha thanks! Yep, I already have a one 25 inch and one 21 inch monitor in my possession (and one twenty inch, but three monitors is just ridiculous). And I have a solar powered keyboard (typing on it atm) and a stock mouse, I'm set! :D
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Logik22 on Fri May 13, 2011 9:45 am
([msg=57362]see Re: Building my first computer[/msg])

Dwere134 wrote:I would watch hard drive capacity... 2TB sounds really nice, but for internal hard drives, anything over 500gb-1tb can be somewhat more unstable in my experience.

1TB+ is somewhat unstable? That's news to me.

I have 3 2TB (WD Green) in my Q-Nap NAS and 5 x 1TB (3 Hitachi, 2 WD) in my machine and they work perfectly.

One thing I will note is you may want to get an OS drive.

1) The OS drive will wear out faster because it's constantly being used.
2) 2TB's generally aren't known to be blazing fast. Maybe pick up some quick small drive (60gb should be fine. Maybe even 40gb). My Win7 image is about 40gb. I'd go SSD if you have the money.

fashizzlepop wrote:HardForum.com is much bette for opinions on hardware. They know their shit extremely well.

Your build looks good though. You may want to wait for the new Bulldozer AMDs that are coming out soon. The Phenoms are great as well though.

You might want a above standard heat sink for overclocking, as AMDs overclock very well.

+1 for [H]. I've been a member on there for years and i've had nothing but good experiences.
Logik22
New User
New User

Return to Hardware