Pinging - How to prevent it

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Re: Pinging - How to prevent it

Post by iistapp on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 pm
([msg=56747]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

Hmm, I can't find anything in my log on my router that look suspicious.

So I did some google'ing and sat up a rule in my firewall, and called my ISP to make them look into it.

They told me if the problem continues they will be able to provide me with a new IP for a sum of cash, I guess that will work for sure? As the whole DoS attack relies on having my IP right?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Goatboy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:51 pm
([msg=56748]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

Even still assuming that you are being attacked, getting a new IP probably will not help. Think about it: In order to be "attacked" in the first place, they needed to get your IP some how. They will probably be able to get it again when you change it.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by iistapp on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:20 am
([msg=56759]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

I do understand that, but I think they might have picked it up on a forum or something, maybe from a ventrilo or teamspeak server if that is possible?

So, if I get a new IP, will it then be replaced with my old one on old forum posts etc?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:24 am
([msg=56761]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

It all depends on the forum.

Here, I can see every IP you have posted from. So in this case, changing it wouldn't do much. If it's displayed publicly somewhere for whatever reason, it may or may not change. They might update it every time the page is served, or they might keep it static per post.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by iistapp on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:46 am
([msg=56762]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

So in other words, for the HTS forum it will be updated to my new IP, from the one I change on my older posts as well?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:53 am
([msg=56763]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

*sigh*

There are so many things that I feel you don't understand here. You're looking at everything as if it's a clear-cut yes or no answer. Not only that, but you are refusing to accept that fact that it might just be lag and not a targeted attack.

If you personally wrote your IP address somewhere in a forum post, then obviously it won't change unless you edit your post. Think about it: how is this forum going to know that you have requested a new IP address from your ISP? It's just text in a post. If I write "I like cats" and then a few years later I decide I hate cats, it isn't going to change to say "I hate cats".

However, if the forum decides to publicly post your IP under your username or something, then, as I said before, it may or may not change. If they decide to retroactively update it (like a signature) then it will only show your current IP and not your old one. If, however, they do not retroactively update the IP, then it will show the IP you used on a per-post basis.

You're also forgetting to specify *where* this IP is being shown. I can view moderator logs because I have sufficient access. Normal users can't do that, so you don't have much to worry about there. Your old IP stays in those logs If you get a new one, that will be recorded as well when you first use it here.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by iistapp on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:42 am
([msg=56764]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

I do not refuse to see that it might just be lag, or w/e.

I have that in mind, and that is why I contacted my ISP, so if there actually is an attack going on, then I guess they will notice it, and they said they would look into it so I do hope they do that, and maybe figure why this is happening to me. Because I got no lag other than thoes few times someone from a different guild is on their way to kill me, It's like an alert, every time I start lagging I head back to a safe zone and on my way there are a bunch of people who are trying to kill me and does because of the major freeze or lag or w/e it is.

You wrote "Here, I can see every IP you have posted from. So in this case, changing it wouldn't do much."

So that is why I asked my last question, because what I understod out of that is that even if I change my IP you will still know it because I thought it would be updated somehow in my older posts, but it sounded ridiculus to me and therefor I asked it.

It was just to know that if I change it they would have to obtain it again from a source, and since they have, if I get this the right way, I won't have any attacks made against me before they do so. Therefor I will simply just not join any TS or Ventrilo servers, neither post on any forums, like their guild forums and so on, where I know they can have access to my IP from my posts.

I'm just trying to get easy answers, that is why I write them like a yes/no question. If I wanted a super long and sepcific one I'd ask that. Please don't get frustrated or mad for that reason.

Hope this clears up a few things. :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by AllByte on Sat May 07, 2011 9:07 pm
([msg=57127]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

There's also a chance your opponents may have a lag-switch. im not sure about the game you're playing, but lag-switches are used in modern fps games, so the chances of someone having a working lag-switch for a game like that are pretty good. If you're not sure of what a lag-switch is, google it, but it's very possible.
AllByte
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
([msg=57128]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

A lag switch would only work for the person using it. They can't stop other players unless they are the ones hosting the game in the first place.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by iistapp on Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 am
([msg=57175]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

The game is hosted throught the server from the owners of the game, back in the days huge groups of people stacked loads of stuff inside a little bag, and once they moved it inside the game it made a huge lag spike because of all the stuff going to the server, but that is fixed a long time ago.

But it doesn't matter no more, I got a new IP at home and the problem is solved. So, lag? It's gone, But I'm not sure what it can be called, but someone was fucking me over having my IP definitly.
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Networking