My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive!

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive!

Post by n0l1m17z on Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 pm
([msg=56979]see My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive![/msg])

This is a support request.

Okay, so i got myself a IDE HD of 120 gb, and i hooked it up with my IDE cable, which is also linking my CDROM drive to my motherboard. Booted up the box, and went into BIOS settings, checked boot prio, confirmed it was CD>Flash>HD>Disabled and rebooted. It didn't really react to the disk in my CDROM drive (a winXP disc), but went on to boot the HD, which contains an old windows install that i don't have access to. So, i rebooted again, went into BIOS, and saw that it didn't detect no IDE Slave, only the Maxtor HD. I tried switching the order (linking the HD on the slave slot, and CDROM on the master slot, no difference. Then i removed the HD completely, and it booted the windows disk with no problems. As soon as i reconnect the HD it skips the CDdrive again.

I then went on to plug the harddisk into my other box alongside it's CDROM, this box is running a SATA primary HD, but this time it refused to detect the IDE HD.

I'm terrilbly confused. All i wanna do is format and install an XP on it, but i just can't get it to work at the same time as my CDROM drive.

As i can't get the box running, i'm not certain what's inside, i've got an Asus motherboard with "M2R-FVM/VP/S" written on it, there's power on everything (confirmed by drives working individually) and the IDE cable's golden aswell, worked perfectly on the old HD two days ago.

I have no idea what to do.
n0l1m17z
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive!

Post by Goatboy on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 pm
([msg=56980]see Re: My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive![/msg])

Somewhere near the 40-pin connector you'll see some little pins sticking out, probably 6 of them. These are called jumper pins and are used to control whether the device is a master, a slave, or either. There's usually a diagram on your drive that explains it. Set both your CD and your HD drive yo "cable select" and then it should only matter which slot they are in, not which order.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Re: My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive!

Post by n0l1m17z on Wed May 04, 2011 5:12 pm
([msg=56982]see Re: My IDE Harddisk won't coorperate with my CDROM drive![/msg])

The Jumper on the HD was set on master, resat it to CS, the CDROM doesn't have a diagram, tested all 9 positions, no difference.

EDIT: Okay. Now it did. Used another jumper. It was broken i guess. Thanks.
n0l1m17z
New User
New User

Return to Hardware