Osama Bin Laden is dead...

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

Osama Bin Laden is dead...

Post by Grendel12 on Mon May 02, 2011 5:36 pm
([msg=56903]see Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

Never before have I seen such explosive rejoicing by the public when it's revealed that someone has died. My entire facebook feed was people exclaiming how great it was that Osama bin Laden is now dead, YouTube has it in the spotlight of their homepage, and it's all over the net.

I am actually quite disturbed by this. Is it okay to rally in the streets (literally, look on YouTube) that someone has died? Even if they are a terrorist? I thought this was what separated us from terrorists themselves, since terrorists "rallied in their streets" on 9/11 when Americans had died.

Everyone is treating this like a victory, but is it? Osama successfully planned and executed a terrorist attack in America that killed thousands of people, and then subverted them for almost ten years in an occupied area....

I don't know. It just seems weird to me to see people happy that another person is dead. I'd expect something more like satistaction or cold approval.
Grendel12
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...

Post by Goatboy on Mon May 02, 2011 5:48 pm
([msg=56904]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

I don't see it that way. I think people are rejoicing because they see this as the end of the war in Iraq. They think that Al'Qaeda are going to pack up and go home now that their leader is dead. What they fail to realize is that most of AQ was pretty fragmented to begin with and will be even more so now, so there are more groups with more varied ideologies.

Sure, some people are probably ill-informed and are actually celebrating the death of Osama, but those people can't really be helped and should just go re-tune their banjos while their sons Jeb and Cleetus fight over who has to wash me-maw's bunion.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by msbachman on Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am
([msg=56919]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

I was happy to hear he was killed. While it's not the end for al qaeda by any means, I think it helps to bring closure to the events of 9/11.

I'm sort of puzzled by how anyone could not be relieved/comforted/light-hearted in hearing of his death. Care to elaborate ^^?
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grendel12 on Wed May 04, 2011 4:10 pm
([msg=56976]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

msbachman wrote:I'm sort of puzzled by how anyone could not be relieved/comforted/light-hearted in hearing of his death. Care to elaborate ^^?

I can understand those feelings. I guess I'm more surprised by the fact that everyone is celebrating his death and shouting victory to the world, when he staged a successful terrorist attack which ignited an ongoing conflict, and didn't get caught in an occupied country for almost ten years. If I had to say it, then I'd say Osama is/was the victorious one.

I'm not saying the world is better off without him. It is. Although actually reveling in someone's death seems a little sadistic...
Grendel12
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 pm
([msg=57002]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

Grendel12 wrote:
msbachman wrote:I'm sort of puzzled by how anyone could not be relieved/comforted/light-hearted in hearing of his death. Care to elaborate ^^?

I can understand those feelings. I guess I'm more surprised by the fact that everyone is celebrating his death and shouting victory to the world, when he staged a successful terrorist attack which ignited an ongoing conflict, and didn't get caught in an occupied country for almost ten years. If I had to say it, then I'd say Osama is/was the victorious one.

Oh yeah.. Real victorious. Dead. Bullet in his head. Laying at the bottom of an ocean. Swimming in victory. Literally.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by neuromanta on Wed May 04, 2011 11:20 pm
([msg=57006]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I don't see it that way. I think people are rejoicing because they see this as the end of the war in Iraq. They think that Al'Qaeda are going to pack up and go home now that their leader is dead. What they fail to realize is that most of AQ was pretty fragmented to begin with and will be even more so now, so there are more groups with more varied ideologies.

Sure, some people are probably ill-informed and are actually celebrating the death of Osama, but those people can't really be helped and should just go re-tune their banjos while their sons Jeb and Cleetus fight over who has to wash me-maw's bunion.

I absolutely agree. Most people think the war on Iraq began because terrorism... but this is very far from being true. Killing Osama won't stop the war.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 am
([msg=57007]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

neuromanta wrote:
Goatboy wrote:I don't see it that way. I think people are rejoicing because they see this as the end of the war in Iraq. They think that Al'Qaeda are going to pack up and go home now that their leader is dead. What they fail to realize is that most of AQ was pretty fragmented to begin with and will be even more so now, so there are more groups with more varied ideologies.

I absolutely agree. Most people think the war on Iraq began because terrorism... but this is very far from being true. Killing Osama won't stop the war.

The war on terrorism started because of terrorism. The killing of Osama won't stop it. But that's still one less terrorist the world has to worry about.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 am
([msg=57008]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

Grendel12 wrote: If I had to say it, then I'd say Osama is/was the victorious one.

^Agreed

Code: Select all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda#Strategy
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by msbachman on Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 pm
([msg=57055]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

Lol

"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neuromanta on Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 pm
([msg=57064]see Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead...[/msg])

mShred wrote:The war on terrorism started because of terrorism. The killing of Osama won't stop it. But that's still one less terrorist the world has to worry about.

The war on terrorism is not the same as the war on Iraq. The latter is because of oil. And the war on terrorism is not fought with guns... it is fought with freedom-narrowing laws.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Politics