Perfect Govt. Surveillance

Bad threads go here

Perfect Govt. Surveillance

Post by comperr on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 pm
([msg=8497]see Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

With a government that can be trusted not to misuse their power (they would only use it to fight specific known crime that has been democratically agreed upon) , would you be willing to give them unrestricted access to all communication?
comperr
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance

Post by TWilli1777 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:43 am
([msg=8502]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

I'd say no, just because of the "democratically agreed upon" part. Who is to say that one day the majority of the country won't decide something I do is a crime? Can't be having it bite me on the ass in the future.
TWilli1777
New User
New User

Post by Karec on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:11 pm
([msg=8547]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

I'd say no, whenever a system like that is in place there will always be an unethical employee that will abuse their privledges. Its like a lot of ideas, sounds great in practice except when you factor in the flaws of humanity.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
Karec
Poster
Poster

Post by comperr on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:31 pm
([msg=8549]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

Karec wrote:I'd say no, whenever a system like that is in place there will always be an unethical employee that will abuse their privledges. Its like a lot of ideas, sounds great in practice except when you factor in the flaws of humanity.

I was aiming for a more is their something inherent about privacy that the government should be restricted. While this is a great argument for any real government (esp. the US of A) this debate is about a "perfect" government.
comperr
Poster
Poster

Post by Stitched83 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:00 pm
([msg=14032]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

First of all, let me say that I don't believe there ever can be a perfect government, BUT, for arguments sake, lets say it was possible. I still do not think any government should have complete access to all communications. Every human being has a right to privacy. I've heard the argument 100 times after the "Patriot Act" was passed in the USA, that 'if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you don't have anything to worry about. This argument is missing the point completely. Would you want your grandmother to know everything that is said between you and your wife when your in bed together? Of course not, because it's none of her business, and some things we hold dearly personal, and are meant only for the person intended.
Stitched83
New User
New User

Post by alienatic on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:43 am
([msg=14223]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

It doesn't matter what bills get passed or who votes for them or anything like that... If the president/secret service wants to wiretap somebody, they'll do it, legal or illegal. They don't have to ask for permission from anyone, they just order somebody to do it. And once it's done they don't need to tell anyone.
alienatic
New User
New User

Post by Shino336 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:12 pm
([msg=15398]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

In the spring of 1984 Operation Gunman discovered Soviet bugs in 17 embassy typewriters.

Basicly, no matter if WE stop listening in, others will listen in in their place. Would you prerfer that our government heard what you said, or some guy 2,000 miles away. Now thats not saying that they don't already have bugs in our countries, but if we stopped listening, it would give them the chance to put in even more bugs... I mean, think about it, you don't write on a piece of paper, put a listening device in such and such shop, then the other guy writes back asking where to put it in the shop. No. They'd ether talk to each other, or call each other. That simple.

Shino336
Shino336
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by -Osiris- on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:51 am
([msg=15593]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

if goverment do perfect Surveillance

"who would watch the watchers"

also who ever heard of an uncorrupt goverment???
-Osiris-
New User
New User

Post by bandchicky314 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:47 pm
([msg=56353]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

Of course not. People need their privacy. That could become too dictorial too quickly.
bandchicky314
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 pm
([msg=56354]see Re: Perfect Govt. Surveillance[/msg])

bandchicky314 wrote:Of course not. People need their privacy. That could become too dictorial too quickly.

This thread is 2.5 years old... I think this might be the biggest necro of the entire HTS board.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to Graveyard