Mac Spoofing + others

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

Mac Spoofing + others

Post by tiggerwalker on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm
([msg=55089]see Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

I would like to hide my MAC address while I am at school, and randomly change it.
Does anyone know of how, or a program that can do this?

What information can they see while I'm on their connection?
(Username, Pc name, MAC, anything else? )
tiggerwalker
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mac Spoofing + others

Post by Phantom Wolf on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm
([msg=55090]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

They can see your traffic, your MAC, and possibly your hostname, but unless you have a specific reason to do so, I wouldn't worry about hiding any of it.

If you're still interested, on any UNIX-based system (including os x), this command will change it
Code: Select all
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

Assuming eth0 is the interface you want to change, and 00:11:22:33:44:55 is the MAC you want to use. I don't know how to change your MAC under Windows. Changing you MAC randomly while connected is probably a bad idea.

Your hostname is easy to change, you can it out yourself. As for your traffic, you have to try to encrypt all your traffic, if you're just browsing the web, try to stay on https websites instead of http
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by tiggerwalker on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:07 pm
([msg=55091]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

Thanks for the tips.

My laptop has Windows 7 installed (would be xp but lack of drivers)

I am thinking of making a "shareYourAnswers" site at school, that's why I am concerned I don't want
them to have any evidence it's me signing into the site. I also don't want to do it from my house because
they can see it's my ip going to the site.

Concerns, Suggestions?

Sometimes I am busy and don't have time to do my work, Just like I would help a friend. I want people to be able to share answers.

Is this a bad idea?
tiggerwalker
New User
New User

Post by Phantom Wolf on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm
([msg=55092]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

You'll probably spend more time setting up this site than you would just doing your homework, but if you plan to go into web design/server administration/anything like that than it might be worth your time.

Where are you going to host this site? If you own the server, they won't be able to tell who's visiting it, unless you're doing it from within their network, in which case they'll probably just block it, but there are ways around that.

Again, I don't care for the idea, but if that's what you want to do . . .
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 pm
([msg=55093]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

Host the website via a free-webhost.

They'll have a very hard time proving its you just from an IP address, but if you're worried about that, just use tor or even a regular old proxy.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by tiggerwalker on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:32 pm
([msg=55094]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

tor is a really nice program.

So you wouldn't take any other precautions?

It's definetly best to create the email, site, and ftp the files in while at school right?

I thought of doing it at home, going threw tor, however someone told me that it's possible to get a warrant
and see the ISP's log files.
Would I be risking it doing it at home, or would you say as long as I'm behind tor, nomatter where I will be fine?

I am doing for my Bachelors degree, and CAN NOT risk anything!
tiggerwalker
New User
New User

Post by Phantom Wolf on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm
([msg=55095]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

I seriously doubt they'll get a warrant for this. Besides, I'm not all too familiar with how tor works, but doesn't it use proxies in other countries? If I'm right, they'd cause an international incident trying to get your IP out of it, and they're not going to do that.

What do you need the email for? You probably don't even need an FTP server.

I'd say you'll probably be fine even if you don't use tor. Unless you go to a really big school that's willing to spend the money to get your site shut down.
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm
([msg=55099]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

With Tor, it wouldn't matter if they got the IP from your ISP. Tor encrypts its data, sends it to a random tor relay, which encrypts it again, and sends it on to another relay, which then sends it to an "exit node" which decrypts the info you sent, requests whatever you requested, encrypts what it gets, and sends it back through the relays to you.

This way, the only records your ISP would have is the original random relay, not the server running the information.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:43 am
([msg=55105]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

What are you worried they'll do? Plagiarism? They are not going to get a warrant or even attempt to try to find you because of a site like this. Especially check your home's ISP.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by xenostrife on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm
([msg=56288]see Re: Mac Spoofing + others[/msg])

I want to do the same thing.
I want to change my MAC address cos my school use mac filter to everyone to connect the campus network
But my friend registered my phone mac address, but when i want to change it the administration office said that i can't change it anymore.
So i want to change my notebook MAC to my phone MAC address..
Is there any possible way?

FYI,
I am using windows 7 32-bit..
xenostrife
New User
New User

Return to Crypto