Ports

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Re: Ports

Post by Vulpine on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm
([msg=52784]see Re: Ports[/msg])

cocalol wrote:Through a port i can know if my other computer has an exploit i can use ?

Sort of.

Listening services may have a vulnerability. Not the ports themselves. You use a port scanner to see which ports are open and what, if any, services are listening for communications on that port. Knowing that application X version 1.23 may be running on, for example, port 25, gives you a good place to start researching for any known vulnerabilities with that particular application.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:53 pm
([msg=53473]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Metasploit is good places to start.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:22 pm
([msg=54148]see Re: Ports[/msg])

I've been wondering upon this same subject myself, and keep reading about using metasploit, but I don't want to use a program to do the work for me, if thats possible. I've been trying to learn how to do it manually, but I can't seem to wrap my head around TCP/IP...
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 am
([msg=54168]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Manually? You mean you are going to write your own exploits before you even know how you would do that? Sounds like a solid plan. </sarcasm>

Metasploit isn't point and shoot. There's a lot more that goes on. Check it out.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 am
([msg=54169]see Re: Ports[/msg])

I use metasploit. I'm not saying it's a bad tool, I'm saying I would prefer to know how it works, rather than just the fact that it does work. Also never said I wanted to write my own exploits, what I want to do is learn how exploits work at their basic level. Isn't that what being a hacker is all about? The infinite pursuit of knowledge? Maybe it's just me, but that's how I've always done things...
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 am
([msg=54170]see Re: Ports[/msg])

I misunderstood then. Check out "Hacking: The art of exploitation" for more on the exploits used.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:16 am
([msg=54187]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Thank you. I've had that on my Amazon wish list for months, along with hundreds of other books, but I think it just moved to the top of my to-buy list now. Haven't had much luck with books, but I also don't have much time to peruse them lately. School/work, etc. I will have to make that one a must read.
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 am
([msg=54188]see Re: Ports[/msg])

AnubisTheJackle wrote:t I can't seem to wrap my head around TCP/IP...

TCP/IP Guide is a good read to learn in that case. Depending on how much you wan t to know; the online version is free.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm
([msg=54235]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Goatboy posted this in another thread, this may help you understand what's going on in "Hacking: The art of exploitation"

http://tuts4you.com/download.php?0.list ... d_name.ASC
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by centip3de on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm
([msg=56220]see Re: Ports[/msg])

AnubisTheJackle wrote:I use metasploit. I'm not saying it's a bad tool, I'm saying I would prefer to know how it works, rather than just the fact that it does work. Also never said I wanted to write my own exploits, what I want to do is learn how exploits work at their basic level. Isn't that what being a hacker is all about? The infinite pursuit of knowledge? Maybe it's just me, but that's how I've always done things...

You have to be the coolest noob I've ever seen. +1 For the hacking mindset :ugeek:
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

PreviousNext

Return to Networking