Just someone to bounce ideas off of

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Just someone to bounce ideas off of

Post by centip3de on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 am
([msg=56130]see Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

I feel like this is a a great weakness in this forum. Don't get me wrong, this is a great place for learning and for communicating, but I feel it has a major weakness if you will. While it's always good to have ~500 active members to talk to, but we have no one to bounce ideas off. I had my first experience with bouncing ideas off someone, and we talked about the neurological differences between your brain and that of a computer. It was just astounding. We talked for 3 hours plus on omegle, and I didn't even notice the time pass. Now I've seen many-a-member just say that they want a mentor, and we've all shot them down. I have even shot them down myself and said that hacking is a self exploring experience, which I still believe it is. But I also believe that it is needed for someone to bounce ideas off. While the IRC is good, it's difficult to have an intellectually stimulating conversation over text, let alone with 10 constant annoying noobs spamming the chat.

So, I suggest having the vent server up, and just a general constant talking. If you're having a good convo with someone, just go into one of the other categories on the vent server and chat it up. This is just an idea, and should probably be moved to the suggestion section, and if need by can be. Just thought I should post it in the section with the highest traffic. If this makes no sense please delete it, it's 1:44 AM, I'm smashed atm, and just got done with my brain fuck of a conversation.

~C

EDIT:
We have put up a mumble server since then!
Here's the info:
mumble.hackthissite.org:5555
(67.21.66.235:5555)
Last edited by centip3de on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of

Post by Goatboy on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:40 am
([msg=56131]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

=D

I think an official HTS voice channel would be great! Vent is certainly one option, but I think most people (by that I mean thetan) seem to prefer Mumble. I'll make sure Kage hears about this. Stickied.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by centip3de on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 pm
([msg=56150]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:=D

I think an official HTS voice channel would be great! Vent is certainly one option, but I think most people (by that I mean thetan) seem to prefer Mumble. I'll make sure Kage hears about this. Stickied.

Thanks! =]
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Kage on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:48 am
([msg=56171]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

centip3de wrote:So, I suggest having the vent server up, and just a general constant talking. If you're having a good convo with someone, just go into one of the other categories on the vent server and chat it up.

Goatboy wrote:I think an official HTS voice channel would be great! Vent is certainly one option, but I think most people (by that I mean thetan) seem to prefer Mumble. I'll make sure Kage hears about this. Stickied.

Heard and duly noted. As for a forum-level implementation, I'll leave that to Goatboy. I've wanted to have HTS Radio and a Vent server for a long, long time. We're soon to be purchasing one or a few multimedia servers, upon which we'll be well capable of streaming massive amounts of content, SHOUTcast (actually, likely Icecast) and Vent included.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by fabianhjr on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:15 am
([msg=56179]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

Good to know, I am going to be looking forward this. :D
Also, why not TeamSpeak or Mumble. I prefer the later for being open source, dunno about you.
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 pm
([msg=56189]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

fabianhjr wrote:Also, why not TeamSpeak or Mumble. I prefer the later for being open source, dunno about you.

That's why I suggested we go with Mumble. Vent is great, but you can't really do much besides set it up and let it run.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by kujinR on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:42 am
([msg=56203]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

This all sounds like a good idea but how would this work? I mean, are people just gonna come in and start talking? Or is it going to be like when we had Lectures (we should bring 'em back, btw) where someone talks and everyone just butt in every now and then?

Not really famiiliar with Shoutcasts. Heard of them but, never really found out what they're about.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 pm
([msg=56218]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

kujinR wrote:This all sounds like a good idea but how would this work? I mean, are people just gonna come in and start talking? Or is it going to be like when we had Lectures (we should bring 'em back, btw) where someone talks and everyone just butt in every now and then?

Not really famiiliar with Shoutcasts. Heard of them but, never really found out what they're about.

I would assume it would be like IRC with voices instead of text, with different channels much like IRC.
centip3de

Post by Kage on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:25 pm
([msg=56662]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

The current software being considered is Mumble and ICEcast. Although, we do currently have a Vent server online. Check out #ventrilo on IRC.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Cookie2323 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:25 pm
([msg=72486]see Re: Just someone to bounce ideas off of[/msg])

So, I suggest having the vent server up, and just a general constant talking. If you're having a good convo with someone, just go into one of the other categories on the vent server and chat it up. This is just an idea, and should probably be moved to the suggestion section, and if need by can be. Just thought I should post it in the section with the highest traffic. If this makes no sense please delete it, it's 1:44 AM and I'm smashed atm, and just got done with my brain fuck of a conversation.

~C[/quote]

Great idea i was just about to post this when i noctied this blog and i read it! a ventrilo server would be amazming!! i was doing some reachseach as i use vent my self everyday. if i was to set up a vent will people being using it or would it be a waste of my money?!?! commect and let me know im more then willing to set one up just because i love computers and learning about them! :D
I always loved computers as a kid But Could never learn how to hack/networking because of my Reading/Writing skills Now im back after a couple of years still not that good But alot better then before! THANK YOU For your help:D
Cookie2323
New User
New User

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions