What would you do?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

What would you do?

Post by osamabinobama on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 pm
([msg=55709]see What would you do?[/msg])

There is a runaway train headed for a junction. The default path of the train has five people on it and the alternative has one. You have the power to change the path of the train and kill one person instead of five. Will you?

Note: If so, you are considered responsible for the death, but if not, are you responsible for the death of the five people?
osamabinobama
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What would you do?

Post by Goatboy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm
([msg=55711]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

Well either way people are going to die. And either way, I am responsible. I would rather have one die than 5. But since you are asking a question that looks so simple on the outside, I am assuming there is a follow-up question.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Gatito on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:38 pm
([msg=55718]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

@Goatboy : You murderer...

Here is another version:

A runway train is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you and your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by SpanningTree on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:44 pm
([msg=59437]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

Gatito wrote:@Goatboy : You murderer...

Here is another version:

A runway train is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you and your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five.

What the Shit? This sounds like a scene from Zombieland or something. I would say it would be the right thing to do, although I don't know if I could build up the courage to do it, I'm usually passive. And I guess it depends if you would get caught, are we factoring in politics here? And are we assuming these people are equal, or could the fat guy be like a charity organizer and the 5 guys thugs?
SpanningTree
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 pm
([msg=59439]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

SpanningTree wrote:
Gatito wrote:@Goatboy : You murderer...

Here is another version:

What the Shit? This sounds like a scene from Zombieland or something. I would say it would be the right thing to do, although I don't know if I could build up the courage to do it, I'm usually passive. And I guess it depends if you would get caught, are we factoring in politics here? And are we assuming these people are equal, or could the fat guy be like a charity organizer and the 5 guys thugs?

This is kind of a necro, but I'll let it slide.

I've seen these questions before, I think as part of a wikipedia article. They were meant to get a feel for most people's morals. IIRC, the majority of people felt the lever scenario was okay but the fat guy scenario wasn't (because in the first one person is indirectly dying, whereas in the second you're directly killing someone to save people).

As for your weird question, obviously we're not factoring in politics and you don't know the people.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by nerdprodg on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 am
([msg=59446]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

I would tell the 5 ppl to get off the rail... that shud be possible.. but if not, I dont think I have the capability to push the fat guy himself(i'm skinny and not muscular), coz if I can do that, obviously, I could throw myself down and be able to stop the train itself..

So, I just added another choice, ie, risk ur own life for another 6 ppl...

Hmm, difficult.. I dont think I will ever have to make the choice tho
nerdprodg
New User
New User

Post by acevic on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:56 am
([msg=59449]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

I'd walk away doing nothing at all because this situation exceeds my judgement capacity. Or I might just pull someone else in to make the judgement on my behalf. Either ways, I'd do nothing directly in response for the situation.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by VPR3 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:37 pm
([msg=59461]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

I don't do anything except check to see if any of the people are nominated for the Darwing Awards. I mean if your dumb enough to stand on a train path....well....
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by brainiac3397 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 am
([msg=67404]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

Let the 5 die...Death is quite unfortunate but you can't arrest it. Maybe even get injured and get some compensation(under the pretense of attempting a rescue)

*Goddamn. I assume that first page posts are recent and neglect to look at post dates*
Last edited by brainiac3397 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brainiac3397
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 am
([msg=67414]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

brainiac3397 wrote:Let the 5 die...Death is quite unfortunate but you can't arrest it. Maybe even get injured and get some compensation(under the pretense of attempting a rescue)

For future reference, this necro is a better necro since it's an open ended discussion.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Ethics