Time travelling is not posible :(

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Re: Time travelling is not posible :(

Post by mShred on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm
([msg=55464]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Okeymaker wrote:Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah

Dude.. Really?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Okeymaker on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am
([msg=55487]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

mShred wrote:
Okeymaker wrote:Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah

Dude.. Really?

Yes... Really. Was it something you disagreed with in my post? From you ironic comment it seems like you didn´t fully follow me?
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by mShred on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:15 pm
([msg=55510]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Okeymaker wrote:Yes... Really. Was it something you disagreed with in my post? From you ironic comment it seems like you didn´t fully follow me?

No i was just saying i don't really know what the point in the colors was.. Nice touch though.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Okeymaker on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:12 pm
([msg=55537]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

mShred wrote:
Okeymaker wrote:Yes... Really. Was it something you disagreed with in my post? From you ironic comment it seems like you didn´t fully follow me?

No i was just saying i don't really know what the point in the colors was.. Nice touch though.

The colors were supposed to make reading easier. If you like the touch, maybe you should just say that right away :)
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DonnyMack on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:31 pm
([msg=65714]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Different masses travel through time at varied rates.

For example - A large mass, like the Earth, will travel more slowly through time than say a satilite.

This has actually been proven as the satilites that orbit our planet have on-board them very accurate clocks, and when these clocks are checked each day (or year I can't remember the scale) there is a slight variation in time on Earth compared to time on these satilites.

There is a black hole of immense density and mass in our solar system ( unreachable by current technology ) but if this theory is correct it means that if we WERE able to get a rocket in orbit with this black hole, time would flow at half the normal rate because of the pull that the black hole has on time.

So if you were to leave earth on a space shuttle and circle the hole for say, 20 years... time on earth would have passed 40 years.

As for travelling back in time I am unconvinced, there is an arguement that if it was possible people would have travelled back in time and told us, but as somebody mentioned above the 'Grandfather Paradox' would then occur... If the future tell the past how to travel back in time, then they wouldn't have made it in the future, so how would the people traveling back in time exist?

-- Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm --

Goatboy wrote:I've never understood why people think that moving really fast == time travel. No matter how fast you go, you will never get somewhere before you leave. Consider this:

At normal speed, it takes you 512 minutes to travel 100 miles.
At double speed, it takes you 256 minutes to travel 100 miles.
At double that speed, it takes you 128 minutes to travel 100 miles.
... ... ...
At double that speed, it takes you 4 minutes to travel 100 miles.
At double that speed, it takes you 2 minutes to travel 100 miles.
At double that speed, it takes you 1 minute to travel 100 miles.
At double that speed, it takes you 1 minute to travel 200 miles.
At double that speed, it takes you 1 minute to travel 400 miles.

Ad nauseum

An increase in speed can either reduce the time it takes to travel a given distance, or increase the distance traveled in a given time. As speed doubles, the time required to travel a given distance is halved. It approaches zero with each doubling, but will never actually reach it. Since it cannot reach zero, it cannot pass it and become negative.

In addition, Einstein showed us that (in a nutshell) it takes a metric fuck-ton of energy to move something at the speed of light. Not going to elaborate too much on that. Google it if you wanna know more.

This is a really common problem people seem to have while understanding time travel :) Basically this whole theory relys on the idea that NOTHING can move faster than the speed of light.

If nothing can move faster than the speed of light BUT somehow we made a ship which was capable of it, then while the ship was reaching the speed of light, time would literally warp and slow down so that the ship couldn't reach the speed. This also brings up thr arguement that what if someone on-board the ship was running? Wouldn't that break the 'Universal Speed Limit'

and as people have probably mentioned above, and I'm sure you probably know, Scientists recorded a Neutrinos which was traveling faster than the speed of light. If this wasn't a mistake and it was, then this whole theory goes to pot, as with many other, seemingly, sound theories.
DonnyMack
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Math & Science