Internet Kill-Switch

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

Re: Internet Kill-Switch

Post by Brendan2011 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:18 pm
([msg=55317]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

Zeref wrote:2) I'm sure many government organizations use those private ISP's, if they are shut down, the government would also be at a stand still.

GovNet. Take your school or work LAN, unplug the router's outgoing so that nobody can get in to you, and nobody in can get out to the internet (a.k.a air gapping), then put classified documents on all of the computers and use heavy encryption. Voila. GovNet. Completely unaffected by ISPs being shut down.
Brendan2011
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm
([msg=55460]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

Lets face it, any "attack" that we get from an opposing country will be targeted at shutting down our internet. This legislation is, well, counter productive because it's flat doing exactly what they will want. Cut off our internet, you cut of business as we know it these days.
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 pm
([msg=55463]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

There are too many ISPs to target all at once. It would be extremely hard to put together an attack like that. If anything, stuxnet like attacks will become more common.

Personally, online terrorist attacks targeted at countries doesn't seem all too threatening to me. I anything, attacks will be geared towards corporations for financial gain. Just my 2¢.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm
([msg=55507]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Personally, online terrorist attacks targeted at countries doesn't seem all too threatening to me. I anything, attacks will be geared towards corporations for financial gain. Just my 2¢.

Not to mention, if the government has something ultra-uber-secret-important shouldn't it be on a secured private-network with tons of redundancy going into making sure it can function well enough even if someone gains physical access to one of the entry points?

Businesses are a different story since they require an internet connection to do business of course. Though the redundancy part should never be compromised if you're working with data that could endanger other people.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by bstro7 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 am
([msg=55672]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

[quote=

<sarcasm>
Oh boy. What every other dictator in the world has, let's introduce it to America. Fantastic idea...
</sarcasm>[/quote]

america basically kills everything is that what you are trying to say?
bstro7
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:54 pm
([msg=55720]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

He's saying that giving the American government, one that hasn't been truthful with its people, the power to cut off their communications with the rest of the world, is not a good thing.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Previous

Return to Politics