Application 1

Learn to reverse engineer through some common application security methods.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts/Code, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Application 1

Post by Monica on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:17 am
([msg=45871]see Application 1[/msg])

It is highly suggested that you complete Basic missions before attempting Application missions.

If you need help with this mission, make sure you have a legitimate question. Questions like, "How can I find the password?" or "Where do I find the string?" is UNacceptable. Why? Because a.) You're stupid. b.) You obviously want to be spoonfed BECAUSE you're stupid or c.) You want to complete the mission for points because you think you can redeem them for a cheeseburger at McDonalds. I'll tell you what - below is a list of what you may need to know to complete many Application missions. Please note, not all are necessary to complete this particular mission.

In the end, we hope you do learn. That is the point of being here on HTS.

Knowledge May Be Required:
- Code Analysis/Hex-Editing
- ASM Knowledge
- Compiled Languages (i.e. C/C++, VB)
- Interpreted Languages (i.e. PHP, Perl)

Useful Tools:
- Ollydbg
- Decompiler

** P.S. Posting answers and/or spoilers (i.e. mission links, mission file names/gages, scripts/code) will DEFINITELY result in multiple warnings/bans.

The End.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Application 1

Post by roblabla on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 pm
([msg=46715]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

I just wanted to point out that I cannot uncompress ANY of the mac files ! I tried all of the decompresser, none works ! They are compressed under the .sit, maybe I'm not doing something right.
What i do :
I installed Stuffit Expander (which i use almost every day, and works).
I download app1mac.sit through google chrome (heh, did not try any other way to download… i might need to try that).
I double click/drag and drop app1mac.sit into stuffit expander.
Stuffit Expander opens.
It spits me this :
"[BLAHBLAHBLAH CUD NOT OPEN BLAHBLAHBLHA] The archive may be damaged (Error #17537)"

I tried to reinstall stuffit expander, try on another computer (with google chrome, naturally, maybe i should try another downloader).

Please help me !

Robin
roblabla
New User
New User

Post by 3l3ctr0n on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 am
([msg=50829]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

Monica wrote:It is highly suggested that you complete Basic missions before attempting Application missions.

If you need help with this mission, make sure you have a legitimate question. Questions like, "How can I find the password?" or "Where do I find the string?" is UNacceptable. Why? Because a.) You're stupid. b.) You obviously want to be spoonfed BECAUSE you're stupid or c.) You want to complete the mission for points because you think you can redeem them for a cheeseburger at McDonalds. I'll tell you what - below is a list of what you may need to know to complete many Application missions. Please note, not all are necessary to complete this particular mission.

In the end, we hope you do learn. That is the point of being here on HTS.

Knowledge May Be Required:
- Code Analysis/Hex-Editing
- ASM Knowledge
- Compiled Languages (i.e. C/C++, VB)
- Interpreted Languages (i.e. PHP, Perl)

Useful Tools:
- Ollydbg
- Decompiler

** P.S. Posting answers and/or spoilers (i.e. mission links, mission file names/gages, scripts/code) will DEFINITELY result in multiple warnings/bans.

The End.

That was pretty informative information about what I should go about learning. Thank you.
3l3ctr0n
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:24 am
([msg=50839]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

roblabla wrote:"[BLAHBLAHBLAH CUD NOT OPEN BLAHBLAHBLHA] The archive may be damaged (Error #17537)"

This guy had the same problem(well, same error code anyway), and he managed to get it open. I know people have complained about the mac versions for awhile.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Sawny1337 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:54 am
([msg=54717]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

Tip: You just need a good editor like notepad++ ;)
Sawny1337
New User
New User

Post by GustavoVC on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 am
([msg=55179]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

can anyone explain how to work with odbg ??? :)
i know a little bit, like searching for s**i**s ....
GustavoVC
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 am
([msg=55183]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

GustavoVC wrote:can anyone explain how to work with odbg ??? :)

The person right above you wrote:Tip: You just need a good editor like notepad++ ;)

For this one, you do not need ollydgb. Just a text editor. But for when you do need it, there's some tutorials out there for how to get a basic grip on it. Link. I was too lazy to look at how good that one was, but if that doesn't help then there's plenty more.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by GustavoVC on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am
([msg=55184]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

mShred wrote:
GustavoVC wrote:can anyone explain how to work with odbg ??? :)

The person right above you wrote:Tip: You just need a good editor like notepad++ ;)

For this one, you do not need ollydgb. Just a text editor. But for when you do need it, there's some tutorials out there for how to get a basic grip on it. Link. I was too lazy to look at how good that one was, but if that doesn't help then there's plenty more.

On notepad++ i need to set any language ?? because i just see "‹EôÆ€‚"
GustavoVC
New User
New User

Post by Gatito on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:47 pm
([msg=55188]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

GustavoVC wrote:On notepad++ i need to set any language ?? because i just see "‹EôÆ€‚"

Notepad++ takes every byte of the executable file and shows the ASCII character associated with that byte, that's how strings are actually made , they are just a bunch of numbers. The "EôÆ€" characters are probably a bunch of bytes which aren't meant to be readable strings but machine code ( nasty 1's and 0's doing all kind of I/O data streams & memory manipulation ). Keeping this in mind what strings ( human readable words & sentences ) could be there ?
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by GustavoVC on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm
([msg=55194]see Re: Application 1[/msg])

Gatito wrote:
GustavoVC wrote:On notepad++ i need to set any language ?? because i just see "‹EôÆ€‚"

Notepad++ takes every byte of the executable file and shows the ASCII character associated with that byte, that's how strings are actually made , they are just a bunch of numbers. The "EôÆ€" characters are probably a bunch of bytes which aren't meant to be readable strings but machine code ( nasty 1's and 0's doing all kind of I/O data streams & memory manipulation ). Keeping this in mind what strings ( human readable words & sentences ) could be there ?

Done xD, Thanks, i was trying to do that in odbg xD but in notepad ++ its much easier :)
GustavoVC
New User
New User

Next

Return to Application