RAM

Bad threads go here

RAM

Post by RatInABox on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:58 pm
([msg=45531]see RAM[/msg])

Yawza,
I'm hoping to build my first computer in the next week or two. My knowledge it very limited when it comes to hardware but I've learnt a lot over the last few days. I'll probably post my proposed rig here before buying to see if you guys have any suggestions. For now I was wondering, is there any advantage to having 2GB RAM in two sticks of 1GB rather than a single 2GB stick? Will the processor be able to use the two simultaneously and thus achieve faster access of data loaded into RAM, or does it make no difference at all?
RatInABox
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: RAM

Post by Calian on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:05 pm
([msg=45532]see Re: RAM[/msg])

Can I ask whats the build going to be used for?
Calian
New User
New User

Post by RatInABox on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:39 pm
([msg=45534]see Re: RAM[/msg])

I'm starting a computer science degree, for which I'll be using the desktop. There's a good chance I'll also be using it to run processor intensive simulations of chemical reactions, database manipulation and statistical analysis of databases. I can't imagine I'll be using any huge databases though. I'd like it to double up as an recreational machine too, gaming, photo-editing and media. Hope that helps!
RatInABox
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:11 pm
([msg=45540]see Re: RAM[/msg])

You might want more than 2 gigs for a gaming rig. Also, price would matter. Ie. Is 2 x 1Gb going to be cheaper than 1 x 2Gb?

Another thing, if you plan on upgrading in the future, make sure there is enough room on the motherboard for an upgrade. So if you have 2 slots and want to fill it up with 2 x 1Gb, you would have an extra stick if you bought a 2Gb stick. So You might go for the 1 x 2Gb and leave room for another if you wanted.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by msbachman on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:48 pm
([msg=45552]see Re: RAM[/msg])

You'd have to check out the specs on the RAM in question to determine whether or not two sticks would be preferable to one.

I'm not a hardware guy but that gets into what speed the RAM runs at, in addition to specs on the motherboard like FSB speed.

There's a ton of info available on this online, far more than I ever cared to learn about, frankly. If you scratch the surface about a week's worth of work further on the subject, you'll know far more than most do, even those who work with the stuff.

Also since you're in comp. sci., building a computer is a great exercise. I recommend a good book on something relating to the A+ cert. before you try it, lest you do something like find a CPU that isn't compatable with a given motherboard.

Been a while since I put one together but I learned a ton in the process. Such as the simple fact that hacking together a new computer in a salvaged case can ground a good motherboard and lend all the symptoms of a wholly defective one. :oops:

So, sorry I can't give a straight answer to your question (good one, by the way, I'll have to look into it). Hopefully I helped with my input, however.

Also, take a look at the challenges. There's a lot of good stuff in there.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RatInABox on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 am
([msg=45555]see Re: RAM[/msg])

I'm in a pretty tight budget so was thinking I could get 2GB and add another 2 when student loans come through, but thanks for the advice! :D

For those who are interested, after reading a bit more it looks like on motherboards that support duel channels two sticks can run faster than one big stick. One website suggested as much as 10% faster due to the increased bandwidth between the RAM and processor.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions. I'm looking forward to building the comp, and learnt so much already! I'm sure I'll have other questions before I make the plunge and buy the components!
RatInABox
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 am
([msg=45556]see Re: RAM[/msg])

10% is much to sacrifice if you are planning on buying a second 2 gig stick.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by RatInABox on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 am
([msg=45558]see Re: RAM[/msg])

I agree! I'll wait and see how much the rest of the rig costs. Hopefully I'll be able to get two 2GB sticks straight off, if not perhaps just one 2GB stick.
RatInABox
New User
New User

Post by Enexeus on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:38 pm
([msg=54963]see Re: RAM[/msg])

One stick of 2GB RAM runs slower than 2 seperate sticks of 1GB. ;)
Enexeus
New User
New User

Return to Graveyard