Internet Kill-Switch

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

Internet Kill-Switch

Post by S4ltine on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:58 pm
([msg=52922]see Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

A controversial bill handing President Obama power over privately owned computer systems during a "national cyberemergency," and prohibiting any review by the court system, will return this year.

Portions of the Lieberman-Collins bill, which was not uniformly well-received when it became public in June 2010, became even more restrictive when a Senate committee approved a modified version on December 15. The full Senate did not act on the measure.

The revised version includes new language saying that the federal government's designation of vital Internet or other computer systems "shall not be subject to judicial review." Another addition expanded the definition of critical infrastructure to include "provider of information technology," and a third authorized the submission of "classified" reports on security vulnerabilities.

The idea of creating what some critics have called an Internet "kill switch" that the president could flip in an emergency is not exactly new.

A draft Senate proposal that CNET obtained in August 2009 authorized the White House to "declare a cybersecurity emergency," and another from Sens. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.V.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) would have explicitly given the government the power to "order the disconnection" of certain networks or Web sites. House Democrats have taken a similar approach in their own proposals.

Lieberman, who recently announced he would not seek re-election in 2012, said last year that enactment of his bill needed to be a top congressional priority. "For all of its 'user-friendly' allure, the Internet can also be a dangerous place with electronic pipelines that run directly into everything from our personal bank accounts to key infrastructure to government and industrial secrets," he said.

Woaw, a new language? I wanna see!!!
A cyber-security emergency? Anyone care to run some theories by me as of what could occur and how shutting off every ones internet would be the solution?
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
S4ltine
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Internet Kill-Switch

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 pm
([msg=52928]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

"New language" as in amendments to that specific writing.

A Cyberemergency would consist of a foreign nation attempting to attack us via the internet. Cyberattacks basically.

The only problem is that even if you cut off all international internet connections, it would be fairly simple to have someone inside the US initiate the attack or have a satellite hookup that allows the exterior internet to still access America's "intranet" per se.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by S4ltine on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 pm
([msg=52948]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

I was going for more of a chinese cyber attack that turned individuals PC's into zombies' that somehow added to the numbers in such an emergency ;/

-- Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 pm --

I was going for more of a chinese cyber attack that turned individuals PC's into zombies' that somehow added to the numbers in such an emergency ;/
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
S4ltine
New User
New User

Post by Brendan2011 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35 pm
([msg=52950]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:The only problem is that even if you cut off all international internet connections, it would be fairly simple to have someone inside the US initiate the attack or have a satellite hookup that allows the exterior internet to still access America's "intranet" per se.

The bill doesn't give the president power to cut off external connections like unplugging your router; it requires any ISP to shutdown (and search engines and software firms for some weird reason) on command or face fines. There would simply be no internet service to anybody on ISPs that comply.

Besides, this bill is overzealous. After all, what are they protecting during cyberattacks by giving the president this power? The government? The government already has secure, air-gapped networks that would prevent access to anyone that's not already on the inside. The people on the internet? The moment you connected to the internet you were at risk of somebody finding a vulnerability in your firewall's firmware, or DoS'ing your website, or tricking you into downloading a virus.

There is no warfare-strength attack prevalent on the internet. Even shutting down all the US based ISPs wouldn't plug all the holes, as people could still use obscure ISPs on bordering countries or satellite communications.
Brendan2011
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 pm
([msg=52951]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6722&start=0#p52949

^^ yeah .... that just happened
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 am
([msg=52955]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

Just like anything else that is a privilege, when it gets abused or misused too much or to an extreme extent, everyone will suffer. I'm not saying it's right or even fair, but who even knows if this will happen for sure? The government is the reason why we even have the internet in the first place. It doesn't surprise me that they would want the power to take it away.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by tremor77 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 pm
([msg=52970]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

Will they disconnect phone service as well? What prevents me from hooking my 56k modem up to the phone line and dialing a canadian or for that matter a russian ISP where I've had some hacked accounts in my back pocket since 1998?

Talk about crippling the nation... no such emergency should be great enough to ever enact this... the results of shutting down the internet would be far more devastating than any "cyber attack". Businesses and industries that rely on the internet for daily operation would go into standstill. Lines of communication people now rely on would be down. Billions of $ would be lost. Billions more could be stolen... so much relies on the internet now, security systems, surveillance video cameras... criminal minded individuals such as myself would take so much advantage of something like this it wouldn't be funny. Anarchy would ensue.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by h1ack on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:01 pm
([msg=54552]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Will they disconnect phone service as well? What prevents me from hooking my 56k modem up to the phone line and dialing a canadian or for that matter a russian ISP where I've had some hacked accounts in my back pocket since 1998?

Talk about crippling the nation... no such emergency should be great enough to ever enact this... the results of shutting down the internet would be far more devastating than any "cyber attack". Businesses and industries that rely on the internet for daily operation would go into standstill. Lines of communication people now rely on would be down. Billions of $ would be lost. Billions more could be stolen... so much relies on the internet now, security systems, surveillance video cameras... criminal minded individuals such as myself would take so much advantage of something like this it wouldn't be funny. Anarchy would ensue.

Totally agree. I bet you whoever came up with this doesn't know anything about technology.
h1ack
New User
New User

Post by Fallenn on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 pm
([msg=54560]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

Mmmmm...

<sarcasm>
Oh boy. What every other dictator in the world has, let's introduce it to America. Fantastic idea...
</sarcasm>
Fallenn
New User
New User

Post by Zeref on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm
([msg=55315]see Re: Internet Kill-Switch[/msg])

I'm just curious

1) When an cyber-attack(international) happens and they select the ISP's to kill, what about the other ISP's, wont the attacks simply find alternates?

2) I'm sure many government organizations use those private ISP's, if they are shut down, the government would also be at a stand still.

3) what if the cyber-attack happens from the inside, how are they planning on solving that.

It seems like when they say kill-switch, they are thinking of turning off the electricity then 1hr later turn it back on, I'm sure that a cyber-attack could last far longer than that.

The Kill-switch is itself a cyber-attack on the people.
Zeref
New User
New User

Next

Return to Politics