What happens when you die?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: What happens when you die?

Post by Spectre557 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:17 pm
([msg=47091]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

Trying to imagine what happens when you die is like trying to imagine a new primary colour... It's impossible using human perception and reasoning. And if you somehow did, your head would probably asplode.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Vulpine on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:44 pm
([msg=47096]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:Trying to imagine what happens when you die is like trying to imagine a new primary colour... It's impossible using human perception and reasoning. And if you somehow did, your head would probably asplode.

Case in point.

Robert Heinlein wrote:There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by T3rminus on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:02 pm
([msg=47275]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

You may find it interesting that the Bible does not say that all good people go to heaven. If you read Ecclesiastes chapter nine and verses five and six it says :

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun."

It is also mentioned in Psalms chapter 37 and verses 10 and 11:

"And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more; And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be. 11 But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

This idea was reflected by Jesus himself when he said in Matthew chapter 5 and verse 5:

“Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth."

As so according to the Bible itself the idea that all good people go to heaven is incorrect as well.
I just thought that I would say something also :).

-Phill
Philosopher - T3rminus
http://lunchboxproductions.webs.com
Basic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)
Realistic: (1) (2) (3)
Application: (1) (2)
Javascript: (1) (2)
T3rminus
New User
New User

Post by Lok1 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:05 am
([msg=47286]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

If you die with an honorable death you'll get to Valhall. Otherwise you'll end up in Hel suffering...

Just kidding. :) I think that it's like a dreamless sleep or like time before we were born - no existence, nothing. And if I were wrong and there is such thing as "good heaven", I would be pleasantly surprised then.
Lok1
New User
New User

Post by fabianhjr on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:14 pm
([msg=47327]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

I dunno, I ain't dead.
Try to find a ghost.
I am sure he knows. :)
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by Kwing on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:52 pm
([msg=52724]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

Pardon all the people that'll laugh at me, but I think our souls decompose same as our bodies. Small unintelligent entities feed on us and bits of us decompose, while other bits (spiritual 'bones') may remain intact, especially bits that carry a strong emotional charge which keeps it in place (entire memories may remain intact). If fully formed memories make it into a being that can interpret thought and memory, they think of those memories as past lives. Although some deaths can result in a fully intact entity being tethered to their body or place of death. If their emotional energy is strong enough and restless, you might have a ghost.
Kwing
New User
New User

Post by h1ack on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm
([msg=54435]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

Most people THINK that Christianity means that you go to heaven if you are a good person... this is not what the bible says though.

We all sin, and the bible says that the punishment for sin is death. Eternal death and separation from god. Then Jesus came and lived a PERFECT life, and he was killed in our place.

The bible says that if we believe that Jesus is the son of God, and accept his gift of forgiveness, than our sins will be forgiven and we will not have to be separated from god for eternity. And then when we die we will get to party with God in heaven. :P
h1ack
New User
New User

Post by r-ID on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 pm
([msg=54467]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 pm
([msg=54492]see Re: What happens when you die?[/msg])

h1ack wrote:Most people THINK that Christianity means that you go to heaven if you are a good person... this is not what the bible says though.

We all sin, and the bible says that the punishment for sin is death. Eternal death and separation from god. Then Jesus came and lived a PERFECT life, and he was killed in our place.

The bible says that if we believe that Jesus is the son of God, and accept his gift of forgiveness, than our sins will be forgiven and we will not have to be separated from god for eternity. And then when we die we will get to party with God in heaven. :P

TL;DR: Believe and you go to heaven.

Anyway, in the future try not to post in threads for which the last post was a fair amount of time ago. The last post was in January, which isn't too bad, but keep in mind the post before that was in October of the previous year.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Religion