When is one a "Hacker"?

Bad threads go here

Re: When is one a "Hacker"?

Post by hellow533 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 am
([msg=54033]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:
hellow533 wrote:As far as I am concerned, if you can hack into the pentagon and steal 2 billion dollars to fund your hello kitty collection then you are a hacker.. If you can delete everything in the HLS database, you are a hacker. Finding Google's IP address or getting admin access to a lame ass site nobody uses is not being a true hacker. That is why I'm not a hacker, I'm just good with computers.

So if i do something really hard core and risk prosecution? or is your interpretation based on difficulty?

It's based on being able to do something useful without getting caught.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Phantom Wolf on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 am
([msg=54034]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:
pretentious wrote:
hellow533 wrote:As far as I am concerned, if you can hack into the pentagon and steal 2 billion dollars to fund your hello kitty collection then you are a hacker.. If you can delete everything in the HLS database, you are a hacker. Finding Google's IP address or getting admin access to a lame ass site nobody uses is not being a true hacker. That is why I'm not a hacker, I'm just good with computers.

So if i do something really hard core and risk prosecution? or is your interpretation based on difficulty?

Yes, pretentious, don't you know how useful a Hello Kitty collection is? /joke

What is your definition of useful, hellow533?
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by neuromanta on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 am
([msg=54038]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:
pretentious wrote:

So... if I do the laundry (which is useful, that's a fact), and no one catches me, then I'm a hacker? :D
And, do you consider deleting the HLS database useful? Let me be the first to congratulate you...
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by tucak on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:24 am
([msg=54046]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:Oh, and by the way, Google's answer. Guess I really am a hacker.

Google wrote:someone who plays golf poorly
Oh my god, I'm a hacker too!
tucak
New User
New User

Post by winter-owned on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 pm
([msg=61468]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

This seems like a silly, semantic question. It's obviously not too silly, because I'm inclined to open my big mouth. I don't understand why it matters other than as a matter of definition. I think the terminology that surrounds hacking is ambiguous to say the least.

I understand the frustrations of a hacker, who, as a programmer, gets confused with kids "hacking" peoples websites to do God knows what.

At the same time, the 99% of the population needs some sort of term to refer to these kiddies. No one says their silly little webpage was "cracked" into. The term English speakers have agreed upon is "hacked into". The hacker community, by latching on to that very name has set itself up for the very issue it now complains of. You can't everyday people who barely use their personal computers and talk about hacking a few times a year to distinguish the difference between hackers and crackers.

I have, one time only, "hacked" a website and caused it to function differently to the way the person who wrote the script intended it to. According to the hacker community that alone would not earn me any kudos necessarily. That is fine, but how would I explain to my Mom what it was up to?
winter-owned
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Graveyard