INTRODUCTION and QUESTION!

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

INTRODUCTION and QUESTION!

Post by edkelly255 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 am
([msg=53989]see INTRODUCTION and QUESTION![/msg])

Hello,
I have quite a few problems and a hard time researching it so if any one can at least point me in the right direction that would be a BIG help.

1) I am working on a program in python. The program will allow me to get the true price of any item i want to order off line and have shipped here. For example, If I want to order a laptop from amazon, I have to go to this huge customs tariff book (I live in the Bahamas) and look up the tariff percentage on laptops(or electronics) and then calculate that and later on when my item has arrived I have to fill out a big waste of time form for customs. So i decided to make a program that will do all the calculations, and print out a form with the information filled out already. Smart hey, but one problem i do not know how... I know that because the tariff folder is so big i am going to have to use a database to make it easier to manage but i do not know how to get python talking to the database. I have been browsing for days looking for a clear, easy and free tutorial on this but to no avail. can any one please help me with this.

2)Now another part to the program is making it user friendly aka a GUI, can any one point me in the direction of a tutorial about making one with python? (that is easy to understand).

thank you,
edkelly255
edkelly255
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: INTRODUCTION and QUESTION!

Post by Phantom Wolf on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm
([msg=53995]see Re: INTRODUCTION and QUESTION![/msg])

1. Need a little more information. What kind of database is it? Could you tell us what you do when you look up a tariff manually?

2. I like PyQt http://zetcode.com/tutorials/pyqt4/, but there are others. It might be worth your time to look into Tk (which comes with Python) and GTK. However, learning to make GUIs will probably be harder for you than learning to program, so you might just want to stick with CLI for now.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by edkelly255 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:12 pm
([msg=54021]see Re: INTRODUCTION and QUESTION![/msg])

Thanks for the quick reply and I apologize to Goatboy for hijacking the thread. I do not know if i can keep posting here now but I think he moved this here or is going to either way I am going to create a new thread called 'python and a database' if thats ok with the moderators.

apologies,
edkelly255
edkelly255
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm
([msg=54022]see Re: INTRODUCTION and QUESTION![/msg])

Just post it here. No sense making YET ANOTHER thread.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to Interpreted Languages