Concealed carry

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Concealed carry

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:44 am
([msg=53842]see Concealed carry[/msg])

Just curious as to everyone's opinion on the carrying of concealed weapons. Please don't turn this into a debate about making certain weapons illegal completely. Also note that a concealed weapon doesn't necessarily have to be a handgun. I have a few specific questions.

Do you regularly carry a concealed weapon? If so, why?
I usually carry a 5 1/4" knife on my person, usually concealed (sometimes I "open carry" it, on my belt), I also have a 7" knife I sometimes carry in the same manner, I have lots of little pocket knives, but nobody cares about them. Why a knife and not a handgun? I'm far more comfortable with a knife then an handgun, I like guns (not shooting so much as smithing, still, shooting can be fun), but despise handguns. I just feel safer with it, and it does come in handy sometimes.

If you do carry a weapon, have you ever had to use it?
Sort of. I was approached by a mugger once, however, upon seeing me as armed and willing to defend myself (and having a bigger knife than him), he ran. Other than that, there have been plenty of times I've used it for things other than self-defense.

Again, if you do carry a weapon, have you ever noticed anyone becoming nervous after finding out you have it, or gotten in trouble for it?
People go nuts over it all the time. For some reason, people freak out saying "that things's huge!" or something like that, even though they probably have kitchen knives that are longer and probably sharper too. Sharpness isn't a big concern for a combat knife since you put so much force behind it. Never been in any actual legal trouble, though.

Do you get uncomfortable if you find out someone near you is carrying a concealed weapon?
Of course not.

What sort of laws do you think there should be regarding concealed weapons?
Forget knives. If you can legally own a knife (things like butterfly knives are illegal in most areas), there should be no reason why you can't conceal it. As for handguns, I like the current system of most states, where you have to complete a training course and obtain a permit. Though, I think that permit should allow you to carry in "weapons-free" zones, like schools. Another thing, no one should be allowed to conceal any kind of firearm that shoots shot, example, you can carry a .45 with "normal" rounds (like full metal jacket or hallow point), but not things like birdshot or ratshot. Anything less than lethal shouldn't be restricted in any way. Other lethal weapons that don't fall into knives or guns should have a special permit, an umbrella permit for "special weapons" where the exact weapon is taken into consideration upon application.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Concealed carry

Post by neuromanta on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:28 am
([msg=53843]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

I don't carry a weapon, and I never will, even though I live in a part of Hungary where there are many criminals. There were some occasions when I had to fight, but if the need arose, I could put my wing tsun knowledge to good use. I always try to avoid violence, but there are some occasions when it cannot be avoided. In these cases, you have to hit fast and hard, and then run before any serious weapons get out. All in all I'm a pacifist, but I won't let anyone rob or kill me just because of that... I don't have regrets when I punch someone's gorge, or hit his face with my elbow, or if I kick his genitals if he wanted to hurt me, even though I'm a pacifist.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 am
([msg=53846]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

I'm split on this issue. I do a good deal of outdoors-ish stuff. Whether it's long-distance running or backpacking, I tend to have some sort of knife with me, there's plenty of uses for a knife (though self defense isn't really a concern when I take one, anything I meet while running through the woods probably couldn't be dealt with through means of a knife anyway). Technically, it's concealed carry, especially when we're talking about backpacking/canoeing, I tend to have the knife on my person, and wouldn't even think to leave it in the car or something if we go to a store or something on the way.

As far as firearms go, concealed carry is probably better than openly strapping weapons all over yourself. Stastics show that an armed populace does tend to make things safer, and so overall I support concealed carry. I'm not sure how difficult it is to obtain a permit, but whatever tests there are should include detailed technical knowledge of the workings of whatever firearm you plan to carry, at least one interview/background check, and a field test to prove you're capable with the weapon (Last thing you want is an imbecile with no shot whatsoever trying to defend themselves and killing an innocent bystander).

At the same time, I have very little faith in our government to properly implement these laws and regulations, and we could very well end up with masses of untrained, uneducated, and irresponsible people carrying weapons. That's just asking for an accident to happen. Of course, we already have that problem with illegal weapons, but this would just augment it with legal ones. That's why this is a sticky issue.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by conscience on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:53 am
([msg=53849]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

off proc

neuromanta wrote:I don't carry a weapon, and I never will, even though I live in a part of Hungary where there are many criminals. There were some occasions when I had to fight, but if the need arose, I could put my wing tsun knowledge to good use. I always try to avoid violence, but there are some occasions when it cannot be avoided. In these cases, you have to hit fast and hard, and then run before any serious weapons get out. All in all I'm a pacifist, but I won't let anyone rob or kill me just because of that... I don't have regrets when I punch someone's gorge, or hit his face with my elbow, or if I kick his genitals if he wanted to hurt me, even though I'm a pacifist.

Beszarok. Nyócker? :mrgreen:

off endp

I usually wear steel-cap boots if it's considered to be a weapon. Otherwise not. The don't make too much sense as they can harm YOU either. Maybe a pretty DIY laser torque would be interesting... ;)
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Post by tucak on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:54 am
([msg=53852]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

conscience wrote:off proc

off endp

I usually wear steel-cap boots if it's considered to be a weapon. Otherwise not. The don't make too much sense as they can harm YOU either. Maybe a pretty DIY laser torque would be interesting... ;)

OFF: Miskolc, ha nem tévedek.
tucak
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 am
([msg=53853]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

tucak wrote:
conscience wrote:off proc

off endp

OFF: Miskolc, ha nem tévedek.

OFF: Eddig Miskolc volt, most kőbánya :D Egyik sem egy életbiztosítás...
Now get back to english :)
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by hellow533 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm
([msg=53854]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

Yes, I think this is a fine idea to carry concealed weapons. As long as you have no criminal record, then it's fine. Self protection is important.
“True hacking is like skydiving, you want to make sure you have arms, because nobody’s going to be there to pull the chute for you.”
hellow533
Poster
Poster

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:17 pm
([msg=53869]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

As far as firearms go, concealed carry is probably better than openly strapping weapons all over yourself. Stastics show that an armed populace does tend to make things safer, and so overall I support concealed carry. I'm not sure how difficult it is to obtain a permit, but whatever tests there are should include detailed technical knowledge of the workings of whatever firearm you plan to carry, at least one interview/background check, and a field test to prove you're capable with the weapon (Last thing you want is an imbecile with no shot whatsoever trying to defend themselves and killing an innocent bystander).

In most states, you have to file an application with the county sheriff and complete a safety course. The application can be turned down for whatever reason, but the sheriff isn't required to run a background check. Uncle Sam assumes that this isn't necessary because you have to go through a background check to buy a firearm. Uncle Sam doesn't realize that the vast majority of firearms aren't bought from retailers, but from private citizens. I don't know what kind of laws there are regarding this sort of transaction, but I seriously doubt most people go through a background check, even if it is required. (Much less transferring of serial numbers, which is why it would be near impossible for the government to take away our guns).

There are, however, states like Vermont where anyone can carry a firearm concealed, if they legally own it. This might sound great to some people, but if you live in Vermont it's basically impossible to get a license to concealed carry in other states. Some states completely ban it, even if you are licensed in other states.

As for my knife, here in my area I can legally carry it concealed, IF I don't have the intention to use it on a person. Yeah, basing laws off of intentions is stupid.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 pm
([msg=53871]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

First off, I wanna say that I agree with insom about the idiots with guns stuff. It's easy enough to kill someone as it is, and with a gun it's literally point-and-click.

My philosophy is simple: If someone wants to kill me, they're going to have to survive me trying to kill them. My dad was a Marine for 22 years, and say what you want about the military, but they teach you to survive. When he taught me how to fight, he didn't tell me to fight with honor. He told me to kick people when they're down, gouge their eyes out, constrict their airways, and do as much damage as you feel is necessary to keep them from doing harm to you. If that means a nut shut (and by that I mean nut shot), I'll do it. Much better than a knife in my side.

To that end, I always carry a knife (or two) on me. At minimum, I have my Leatherman on my belt in a case. They're useful as fuck, and although they were not made for combat, they can be used to defend. Now if I'm going into an area where there's a higher-than-normal chance of getting into some shit, I strap my dad's KABAR to my leg. Yes, they are illegal. Yes, they are meant to kill. No, I don't give a fuck.

On the topic of guns, I have a similar philosophy. A criminal is going to have a gun whether or not it is legal for him to do so. I figure I can at least match him. I'm going in for my C&C training in a few months, and my aunt has a .45 waiting for me for when I turn 21. I've been told by my dad that I have really good aim for how little I've shot (maybe 100 rounds total in my life). That's saying something, because he was a sniper for 9 of those 22 years. Guess it runs in the blood =)

Anyway, I do think the required training is a good idea. While I think the 2nd Amendment is important, I certainly don't think everyone should have unlimited access to any gun they want.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 pm
([msg=53879]see Re: Concealed carry[/msg])

Did anyone ever tell you that you're awesome, Goatboy?

But, uh, KABAR's are illegal? What? Both of the knives I mentioned in my first post are KABARs, the short and long versions of the black-handled USMC knife. Probably the same thing as your dad's knife, and as far as I know, it's perfectly legal anywhere in the states, regardless of how you're carrying it.

I'm also going to be a little stuck-up and correct you saying that they're meant for killing. The original KABAR was designed with plenty of uses in mind, it doesn't even have to be used as a cutting tool. I've used the butt of my knife as a hammer, and I've used the spine as a straight edge. The possibilities are endless.

I agree with you on guns. I think it's a big problem that people can buy a gun without knowing how to use it. All to often do I hear about someone buying some over-powered handgun to keep in his house for protection (which, by the way, a handgun isn't the best choice for home-defense, get a shotgun for that), takes it to the range for half an hour one day, then completely forgets about it for the rest of his life, not to mention the fact that he's living with other people that have no clue how to use it. Anyone who owns a gun needs to know how to use it, be safe with it, and teach everyone in his household the same things. Including children.
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Ethics