So I know it takes long to learn to program and I recently read the famous article: How to program in ten years.
I've been trying to teach myself programming for ages. I'm 19 now and I started reading through my brother's Java programming books at 15. Right now I know the basic syntax of: C,freeBasic,java,python, and Vb.net (the last one doesn't really count.)
So yes guys:"Im going to create a gui in visual basic to track ip addresses."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
So what kinda stuff can I program?
1. In C I programmed something that I used to track how much money I spent during the month and how much I would have left at the beginning of the new month including the money that was left over from the passed month. (Pretty practically useful but not very complex)
2. In Java I made something to help me write my references for essays in the Harvard format.
3. VB.net made some pretty random shit nothing useful though.
Right now I feel I need to start working on some basic stuff which I really never felt like learning:
1. I know html but I'm not great at CSS usually just used templates for all the websites I've had to set up.
3. Know the basic syntax of php but never really bothered to learn SQL
4. Always used windows hosting for sites and tried a linux host the other day and to my surprise it was not at all what I had expected, learning to use Vim took me a while to understand.
Any tips to help me actually get somewhere? I've never had any one teach me and I don't attend any CS classes...everything I know is from books or online tutorials.