Where to get a good SSH program for free?

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Where to get a good SSH program for free?

Post by Okeymaker on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:57 am
([msg=53222]see Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

There are mainly two reasons why you want to have a SSH program that works like telnet or cmd.
Reason One: When you use commands as whois,ping,telnet,finger netbios etc, you dont wanna be followed or hacked by someone that has set up a sniffer-program to catch you.
Reason Two: You wanna connect to your UNIX Shell in a secure way.

As you can guess from reading the topic, I am a noob without a SSH program. If someone could say any useful FREE program and if "tracking" commands like finger and whois need special configuration to work on it, I would be very happy!

(Btw, I´ve searched the forum for the keyword SSH but with no matches as result. But I know that the word SSH has been used on this forum :? What am I doing wrong when I search?)
Last edited by Okeymaker on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?

Post by Goatboy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 pm
([msg=53223]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

For Windows, use PuTTY. For Linux, use the readily-available ssh program.

I am not sure what you mean by how the "tracking" commands work. What specifically do you want to know?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:40 am
([msg=53250]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

Yeah, putty is the way to go when remoting from windows to linux. Just make sure the configuration on the sshd you are connecting to is trustworthy. If you're in control of the server you are connecting to, setup a user group which will only be able to access the sshd, perhaps "wheel". Then there is a little bit of work after this which you need to learn on your own, but this is a good place to start. Just research it.

If someone could say any useful FREE program and if/how "tracking" commands like finger and whois works on it, I would be very happy!

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? However, the commands will work the same way as they usually do, because you are actually running them on the machine you are connecting to.

(Btw, I´ve searched the forum for the keyword SSH but with no matches as result. But I know that the word SSH has been used on this forum :? What am I doing wrong when I search?)

Have you tried ?
Code: Select all
*ssh*
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Okeymaker on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 am
([msg=53258]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

I meant if some software requires any special configuration to make some "tracking and hacking" commands to work.
(I know, the explanation was a bit lame :/)

Thx both of you for the advice Goatboy and Logical, :D, but PuTTY was the first program I tested and It don´t work for me. -.- I connect to the target but I can´t even write anything. There is just a small green rectangle in the begginning of the first line and the black screen.
Besides, it would be more pracitcal if I could connect to a new target or switch port without starting up a new session. PTTY doesn´t support that. If I get it work I mean :P

I WANT A SSH SOFTWARE THAT SUPPORTS COMMANDS LIKE FINGER,TELNET, TRACEROUTE, WHOIS, PING and maybe some more commands. *ehrm* Or at least some of the previously mentioned commands.
...If I said something really stupid right now plz tell/flame me. I don´n know much about how SSH works.
If there is any netcat software that supports SSH that would an option.

-- Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:13 pm --

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Have you tried ?
Code: Select all
*ssh*

*Screams in rage*
Uups. Thx for the advice. It may help me to not spam this forum with stupid comments ever again. (Most probaly not)
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:28 pm
([msg=53262]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

I connect to the target but I can´t even write anything. There is just a small green rectangle in the begginning of the first line and the black screen.

Is there an sshd set up and running on the machine that you are trying to connect to? Other wise it will be pretty much useless. The green rectangle is there because it's not connecting to the machine. Once you connect you will get a login prompt just as you would see it on the shell of the machine.

You should set up and configure a sshd then try to ssh onto the machine to get a better understanding.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 pm
([msg=53274]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

I think you have a gross misunderstanding of what SSH is.

SSH does not allow you to run "hacking and tracking" commands like finger, tracereoute, ping, etc. SSH allows a secure connection to a remote computer that is running the SSH service. This is similar to telnet, but encrypted. Simply having PuTTY will do nothing for you. You need to connect to a computer that will allow you to log in and run these commands.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:19 am
([msg=53277]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

SSH is a tool that allows you to connect to a Linux machine remotely. It doesn't have any commands built in. You should google up on SSH and such.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Goatboy on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 am
([msg=53278]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:SSH is a tool that allows you to connect to a Linux machine remotely.

Anything that has an SSH service running on it can be potentially connected to.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Okeymaker on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 am
([msg=53320]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I think you have a gross misunderstanding of what SSH is.<br><br>SSH does not allow you to run "hacking and tracking" commands like finger, tracereoute, ping, etc. SSH allows a secure connection to a remote computer that is running the SSH service. This is similar to telnet, but encrypted. Simply having PuTTY will do nothing for you. You need to connect to a computer that will allow you to log in and run these commands.

Youre right, I dont know much about SSH. I just know that it is a standard for encrypted telnet conections. I know that SSH must be installed on both computers, [b]but I thought that there were a lot of programs with SSH encryption, that allowed you to connect to a network and run commands like finger etc. (If they have SSH installed on their server,) if you jiust chosed the right virtual port. Is this my error? Am I wrong now?
~SEEK AND HEAL~ Failure
Okeymaker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:24 pm
([msg=53328]see Re: Where to get a good SSH program for free?[/msg])

I know that SSH must be installed on both computers, [b]but I thought that there were a lot of programs with SSH encryption, that allowed you to connect to a network and run commands like finger etc. (If they have SSH installed on their server,) if you jiust chosed the right virtual port. Is this my error? Am I wrong now?

Unlikely if they changed the port from 22 to something arbitrary and set up port forwarding on their router. Besides, if you did connect you would either need to know the user name and password or have a public key authentication set up in order to connect. Then once you connected, it would be like you are actually at the machine and in the shell. From there you can run commands.
Last edited by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Networking