New Blackbuntu Distro

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

New Blackbuntu Distro

Post by astromech_kuhns on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:41 am
([msg=53210]see New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

Hey all, we have a new Distro out called Blackbuntu. It is a Ubuntu Derivative.

About Blackbuntu

Blackbuntu is distribution for penetration testing which was specially designed for security training students and practitioners of information security.

Blackbuntu is penetration testing distribution with GNOME Desktop Environment. It's currently being built using the Ubuntu 10.10 and work on reference Back|Track.
Blackbuntu Team:

Project Founder & Main Developer: c1ph3r < c1ph3r {at} blackbuntu . com >

Developer: x-c0d3 < x-c0d3 {at} blackbuntu . com >

Developer: mayaseven < mayaseven {at} blackbuntu.com >

Developer: alexploiter < alexploiter {at} live.com >

Developer: Bruno Criado < dropped {at} 0thsecurity.net.br >

Contributor: salary < salary {at} blackbuntu.com >

Documentations: Kolton Kuhns < kolton.kuhns {at} gmail.com >
Contact us:

We are pleasure and welcome to all security expert to join us and share the knowledge,
skill, idea and related to make Blackbuntu Project are benefit to everybody.

just write to info {at} blackbuntu.com

We are currently looking for Developers and Documenters so that we can expand. i am currently the only person doing Documentation so its slow as you can guess. the info above was copied from our about page.

The website is http://www.blackbuntu.com/ theres a download section at the top. please download it and tell us what you think. and if you are interested in helping, email either info, cipher, or myself (kolton kuhns).

Thanks for looking!

Kolton Kuhns
astromech_kuhns
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New Blackbuntu Distro

Post by Goatboy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 am
([msg=53211]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

So what benefits does Blackbuntu have over BackTrack? Why should we use your distro?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by astromech_kuhns on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:19 am
([msg=53212]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

Personally i think Gnome has a nicer feel to it than KDE. it also IMHO is a lot more organized of a system. but all that is configurable. it also comes with all the software to run it as your main system.

Not to mention the Software support provided through ubuntu. and the thousands of packages out there with apt-get. that was a major point for me to, "why not use backtrack" until i realized that package support and software updates were huge if i wanted to run it as a main system. i think i read but i may be wrong that backtrack is based off debian or ubuntu, so it may use the apt-get for packages, but im not sure. either way software updates are a biggy.

It also has a huge community behind it. not just the Blackbuntu community, but the ubuntu community since its so closely related to it, keeping a very familiar ubuntu feel to it.

like all new systems it has bugs so we encourage you to try it out and let us know any problems you find. theres a spot on the forums for this. we will soon by trying to extend our reach to a 64 bit version as well.

Kolton Kuhns
astromech_kuhns
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:23 am
([msg=53216]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

The software problem would essentially be fixed by adding the Ubuntu Repositories to your system, then you could "apt-get" anything you like, and receive Ubuntu's updates for it. People who don't know this, probably shouldn't be using a system designed for pen-testing.

I'm always sceptical about new distributions. In my opinion there's tons too many out there as it is. Are you using a different kernel than Ubuntu? If so, how and why is it different? I don't mean to put you down, but if the distro is just Ubuntu with a bunch of Info-Sec tools installed, it doesn't seem like a good candidate for yet another derivative.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by astromech_kuhns on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:42 pm
([msg=53606]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

Sorry i have not gotten back to you, i forgot about this post as i have been busy with robotics.

Im not to sure how the kernel is different. I do Documentation im not a developer. i do know we have more support for certain wireless cards.

the main difference between us and backtrack is the fact that we use gnome and are more aimed at everyday use as a OS as well.

EDIT: forgot to add, we are developing a 64 bit version which should be available in the next release.

Thanks,
Kolton Kuhns
astromech_kuhns
New User
New User

Post by avatarmonkeykirby on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:44 am
([msg=53693]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

Why I'm skeptical about this.

1- A penetration OS should not be a day-to-day operating system. You shouldn't use it for word processing, facebooking, or tweeting.

2- Backtrack is an Ubuntu derivative. It can already get new packages if you want it to.

3- A 64 bit penetration os? I know that 64 bit cpus are very common now, but that doesn't mean that ALL systems are 64 bit. What if your target is on a 32 bit system and you boot up the live disk and ... Oops! It doesn't work because you're too clever.

4- Your os is based on Ubuntu... 10.10? That is the new system, but it doesn't have as much support as 10.04. If you wanted to extend usability in the day to day life you should have gone with 10.04 LTS

And on another note (not a really a point) but if your the documenter, shouldn't you know what the differences are? These are things that should be included in documentation.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding condescending, but I believe it's important that these points be brought up.
New User
New User

Post by animaXoscura on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 pm
([msg=56380]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

personally i like it better then backtrack because of the gnome feel its great for beginners to learn linux as they go onto there hacking and pentesting stuff from windows and i personally hate setting up backtrack simply because its from scratch ubuntu is ready outta the box and automatically sets up a user account during installation thumbs up with blackbuntu and youll probably be hearing from me in the community or forums on the site as well lol :D :lol:
good job with it though i thought i was gonna have to eventually make my own..
animaXoscura
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:05 am
([msg=56381]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

Backtrack from scratch? Where did you hear that? Backtrack is readily available for use. Of course you have to configure it according to your needs, which can take a few hours, but that's also the case with most of linuxes.You don't have to make anything from scratch.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 am
([msg=56385]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

I really like the interface. It looks great. Here's a screenshot:

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by tgoe on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 pm
([msg=56437]see Re: New Blackbuntu Distro[/msg])

I nominate this weirdest distro name... just ahead of "RIP Linux".

@sanddbox
Which gnome theme u using?
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to *nix