Network connections

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Network connections

Post by Reason7194 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:37 am
([msg=53194]see Network connections[/msg])

Hello everyone, right now i have been having some very annoying connection issues with my desktop. For the past three weeks, i have been getting horrid connections to the internet and of course the network. What i do not understand is why i am getting these connection issues. The wireless card is new, in a good location and not surrounded by other electronics. I erased all other drivers before i installed the ones required for the card. I tested connection to the internet with my laptop in the exact location as the desktop and it work just fine. Here is the odd thing, sometimes it will connect great, perfect and run excellent..then just drop off and act like it has never heard of networks and refuse to connect. I went to ping test and speed test and got odd results..a few were A's and a few were B's and F's. I did a ping test to a Heroes of Newerth server ( 500 pings ) and got a 1% packet loss which i thought was ok. I did a trace route to google and always, and i mean always, lose packets on the 3rd or 4th hop. Could anyone give me advice on what to do? Does anything think it is a software collision or a hardware malfunction?

I am going to try and direct connect to the router later this week when i get my hands on a lan cable, but please..i have been struggling on this issue for about 3 weeks so i would really admire the assistance.
I study Gotafu.
Reason7194
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Network connections

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:59 am
([msg=53195]see Re: Network connections[/msg])

If you are using windows, and correct me if im wrong...but it sounds like you are.
Do: start>run>cmd>

Code: Select all
ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Then see if connection problems remain. Also try:

ipconfig /flushdns

If you keep your pc on for multiple days in a row, just restart it. It sounds basic but shit, fuck it. Don't forget on the rare chance that it may be a hardware malfunction with the router. How old is it? Also, try making sure you have a solid physical connection with your ethernet cable on both ends and test it like that. Check your dhcp tables and look for extra ip's not expected, especially if it's wifi capable. It won't always work unless they are lazy.

If you're on a shared network....Maybe the dns server isn't resolving correctly. In that case befriend the network admin and see what's up. At the very least make some goals and don't give up until it's solved.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:03 am
([msg=53200]see Re: Network connections[/msg])

Same kind of general stuff happened to me. It was because it was an old linksys that was going kaput. We bought a new wireless router and we're running perfect again. Try unplugging your router and waiting 30 seconds. Should be a temporary fix.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Reason7194 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 pm
([msg=53202]see Re: Network connections[/msg])

Sadly the problem did persist, however it is probably just me thinking that there was change..but i think that there were less disconnections from the online games i play.

@Fashizzlepop - I will try that asap. The only thing that is stopping me is that i am not the main admin of my network and am sure i would get in deep trouble if i were to unplug it.
I study Gotafu.
Reason7194
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:30 pm
([msg=53237]see Re: Network connections[/msg])

Not the main "admin?" Is this your home wifi or what?
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 pm
([msg=53240]see Re: Network connections[/msg])

If your on a network that has it's own domain there may be a conflict between the isp dns server and the dns server for your networks domain. If possible you would need to give more info, ie: os type and network setup. If you are using windows try:
ipconfig /all

Look for a field called "dns servers" and take note of what they are.

If you have access to the router settings compare the dns settings in the router to the dns servers ip that your pc is resolving to. You may just need to ask the network admin to take your pc's settings and compare them to the ones in the router. If they are different you can manually set the dns in windows or you could try:
ipconfig /registerdns

Just curious, do you use any kind of vpn?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Networking