Creating a web server

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Creating a web server

Post by george7194 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:51 pm
([msg=51274]see Creating a web server[/msg])

Hello everyone, i am creating a webserver for leaning's sake and so i can host my own website. I would like to know the security risks of converting an semi-old pc into a webserver. What measures should be taken to prevent malware and intruders from damaging or taking over my server? If someone could answer me here or link me in the right direction that would help alot.

Thank you
george7194
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Creating a web server

Post by Goatboy on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 pm
([msg=51281]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

I don't have time right now to post a long answer, but the short answer is that most out-of-the-box servers (the popular ones anyways) are going to be fairly secure as-is. I'm talking about Apache, Microsoft IIS, nginx, etc. Most vulnerabilities come from the code you put on those sites, and not the site engine itself.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by hjkl on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:46 pm
([msg=51295]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

What kind of HTTP server are you setting up? If you haven't decided on the software and you'd just like to run a webserver on your personal computer just to learn, I'd check out XAMPP. You can run it from a flash drive on any OS. Personally, I always go with a dedicated Apache install since it's really easy to install and configure on Linux.

If you're running Python, and just need something quick and dirty you could always do this:
Code: Select all
python -m SimpleHTTPServer

Obviously, you wouldn't use this as a dedicated server. ;)

As far as security goes, since your question is pretty broad, go here and look over some of the areas mentioned that pertain to your project goals. Good luck!
hjkl
New User
New User

Post by Soulzityr on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 pm
([msg=53026]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

After you set up an Apache webserver on your computer, is this the kind of network you need to start learning how to get into it and tracking packets and such?? Or am I confused?
Soulzityr
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:27 pm
([msg=53028]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

Soulzityr wrote:After you set up an Apache webserver on your computer, is this the kind of network you need to start learning how to get into it and tracking packets and such?? Or am I confused?

Well if you want to capture packets, then check out wireshark or tcpdump. If you're trying to 'get into' that network, it doesn't have to run any kind of webserver. If that's what you're looking to do, you could just set up a network and capture packets from the traffic on your network.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by cruisegirl713 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm
([msg=53041]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

Yeah my roommate and I recently bought books and we're going to set up a network on a spare computer and try to get into it. Further learning from there :) Thanks for the advice.
cruisegirl713
New User
New User

Post by Soulzityr on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm
([msg=53043]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

mShred wrote:
Soulzityr wrote:After you set up an Apache webserver on your computer, is this the kind of network you need to start learning how to get into it and tracking packets and such?? Or am I confused?

Well if you want to capture packets, then check out wireshark or tcpdump. If you're trying to 'get into' that network, it doesn't have to run any kind of webserver. If that's what you're looking to do, you could just set up a network and capture packets from the traffic on your network.

wireshark and tcpdump? I'll look into those. What do you mean by 'get into'? What's the difference between that and capturing packets? You mean manipulating the system?
Soulzityr
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:59 pm
([msg=53045]see Re: Creating a web server[/msg])

Get into: as in breaking wifi password and accessing shared files.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to Networking