Illegal Vs Unethical

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Illegal Vs Unethical

Post by WalkAroundHax on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:29 pm
([msg=52790]see Re: Illegal Vs Unethical[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:You probably could get into trouble, but unless your school is run by total pricks, you'll probably get off with some disciplinary stuff (Suspension/Detention).

I'm talking legal action, not school actions. I don't see how the school could have any possible hand in this, nothing was done during school hours or on school property.
WalkAroundHax
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Vulpine on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 pm
([msg=52792]see Re: Illegal Vs Unethical[/msg])

WalkAroundHax wrote:I'm talking legal action, not school actions. I don't see how the school could have any possible hand in this, nothing was done during school hours or on school property.

Inconsequential. When it comes to off-campus incidents between peers, schools often try, quite successfully, to enforce some form of punishment. There have been a lot of recent cases in the news about Facebook "harassment" amongst students, and very few of them have resulted in the school not being able to do anything. So don't go thinking that off-campus or off-hours means anything in terms of your school's jurisdiction.

As for legal action... If the cops get involved, and they can connect the dots, you could possibly expect to find yourself in front of your county or city judge. They're starting to take this stuff very seriously, regardless of how harmless it may appear to be.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Defience on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm
([msg=52798]see Re: Illegal Vs Unethical[/msg])

So convenient that all of your schoolmates have facebook accounts, and if private you're 'friended'; which gives you access to all of their email accounts, they all post the answers in some form to their security questions and you just roll through them all like a hot knife through butter......

p.s. What part of Pennsylvania are you in?
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by WalkAroundHax on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm
([msg=52801]see Re: Illegal Vs Unethical[/msg])

Defience wrote:So convenient that all of your schoolmates have facebook accounts, and if private you're 'friended'; which gives you access to all of their email accounts, they all post the answers in some form to their security questions and you just roll through them all like a hot knife through butter......

p.s. What part of Pennsylvania are you in?

Yeah, like I said they would have one of their recovery questions as "What is your favorite author?" And I would just look through their 'liked' books and google the authors of those books. I got it within the first two guesses.
p.s. I don't live in Pennsylvania

@Vulpine
That seems extremely blown out of proportion just for guessing a few peoples' E-mail security questions and logging into their Facebook. Yet, under today's strict laws, I definitely believe it..
WalkAroundHax
New User
New User

Post by Szayel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 pm
([msg=68788]see Re: Illegal Vs Unethical[/msg])

Situation 1: Unethical, yes.
Situation 2: Totally justified, but dangerous. While I can understand how angry you can get when someone is a douche like that, you have to realize that by poking around in it, you've just gotten involved in a mess that could hurt you over later on.
"If you cannot win the game, if you cannot solve the puzzle, then you are just another loser." (Near from Death Note)
Michael:What are you doing?
Salander:I'm reading your notes.
Michael:They're encrypted.
Salander:Please. Have some coffee.
Szayel
New User
New User

Post by wan26 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm
([msg=68798]see Re: Illegal Vs Unethical[/msg])

The second thing you did is kind of grey, but I can understand why you did it. But in general it's best not to react like this straight away with stuff you disagree with. I remember ages ago finding the cctv feed of school from inside the network, and I'm lucky I was not suspended - that could be your education down the pan which is more important than the affairs of others.

Just saw the post date, i really should check this more often...
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Previous

Return to Ethics