Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing

Post by S4ltine on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:58 am
([msg=52681]see Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

The ruling opens up disturbing possibilities, such as broad, warrantless searches of e-mails, documents and contacts on smart phones, tablet computers, and perhaps even laptop computers, according to legal expert Mark Rasch.

Ok, I am not even going to argue that this is against the Fourth Amendment.
I would just like to know how some of you would prepare for such events.

-I have an iPhone and I keep everything backed up and updated daily. I would assume that I would have a way of erasing the entirety of my iPhone on the fly; I believe a phone password would be sufficient in most cases - But heck lets pretend like your a celebrity 8-)

Suppose a team got a hold of your phone, if you connected through your home network on that phone so you were secure when you used it; could they potentially gain access to your home network?! In the case of paranoia I would hope someone here has a field day with my question in describing their precautionary measures taken :D
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
S4ltine
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:03 pm
([msg=52716]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

Since I really only use my iPod as a quick Internet device/calendar/other shit, I don't really have anything incriminating on it. If I did, however, full-disk encryption would be a must. The password only matters for interfacing with the device through the touch screen. If they take it from you they can basically do whatever they want with the data inside. If it's encrypted, this eliminates the possibility, or at least severely hampers it. Unfortunately I do not know of any good iPod-specific encryption programs.

Another thing that would be cool is to have two passwords; one for your normal usage and one that will wipe a specified set of files/folders when entered, then grant access. That way if your device is taken and they ask for the password, you can tell them the self-destructing one and they will most likely use it.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:57 pm
([msg=52734]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Another thing that would be cool is to have two passwords; one for your normal usage and one that will wipe a specified set of files/folders when entered, then grant access. That way if your device is taken and they ask for the password, you can tell them the self-destructing one and they will most likely use it.

This sounds like a fun project xD. Something along the lines of the hidden partition system present in Truecrypt, so it couldn't be too hard, since there'd be code to compare it to. But with the way iOS is, it might be hard to implement unless you first replaced the default lock screen.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:06 pm
([msg=52737]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:But with the way iOS is, it might be hard to implement unless you first replaced the default lock screen.

Not necessarily. Just modify the lock to accept one of two passwords:

Code: Select all
if (password is correct){
    Grant access as normal;
}

else if (password is "correct"){
    Delete your incriminating shit;
    Grant access as normal;
}

else{
    Deny access;
}
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:18 pm
([msg=52739]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Not necessarily. Just modify the lock to accept one of two passwords:

The problem being getting at the code. I have a feeling it's locked up tightly and would take lots of reverse engineering to modify the original. Then again, I know no next to nothing about iOS other than that it's UNIX-Like.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:31 pm
([msg=52740]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

iOS is so locked up it isn't even funny. I suppose it MAY be possible if you wrote an app for a Jailbroken iPhone to auto lock in place of the built in screen lock. First, it would need to be Jailbroken I'm sure as apps can't delete files for other apps when it is still Jailed (I think, I'm not sure).

Sounds a lot like Little Brother, Goatboy... ;) I had the same idea as I read the op.

The built in backup encryption is easily broken btw.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:48 pm
([msg=52743]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

A Jailbroken iPod has full root access to it's filesystem.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 am
([msg=52752]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

Then yeah, it would definitely need to be Jailbroken first.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by S4ltine on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 am
([msg=52757]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

Code: Select all
if (password is correct){
    Grant access as normal;
}

else if (password is "correct"){
    Grant access as normal;
}

else{
    Deny access;
}

Delete if (password fail attempt value of 3){
}

Delete if (port accessed without password)
    Delete your incriminating shit when connection is made without interface password;
}

In this fun theory of things, how would you run a "Rick Rolled " executable when/as it deletes; How would you wipe everything and preserve the executable?
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
S4ltine
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm
([msg=52776]see Re: Cell phone compared to personal effects like clothing[/msg])

S4ltine wrote:In this fun theory of things, how would you run a "Rick Rolled " executable when/as it deletes; How would you wipe everything and preserve the executable?

wat

This is either a troll question or the most retarded question I have heard in a long time.

If you want to Rick Roll someone while it's wiping your files, just play the damn video on the iPod. If you want to preserve the executable, don't tell it to delete itself. Is this really that hard to understand?
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Telecommunications