Ports

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Ports

Post by cocalol on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:03 pm
([msg=52699]see Ports[/msg])

I have spent hours on searching the web about port knowledge. I bought a second computer and for education reasons i wanted to see how i can access my other computer through an open port. I have ran a port scan and i saw that the port 80 is open in my other computer. Is there any link ( serious ) that you could suggest me to read so i obtain the basic knowledge or you can give me some tips ?

Thanks in regards.
cocalol
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ports

Post by mShred on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:40 pm
([msg=52704]see Re: Ports[/msg])

cocalol wrote:I have spent hours on searching the web about port knowledge. I bought a second computer and for education reasons i wanted to see how i can access my other computer through an open port. I have ran a port scan and i saw that the port 80 is open in my other computer. Is there any link ( serious ) that you could suggest me to read so i obtain the basic knowledge or you can give me some tips ?

Thanks in regards.

It's a lot more complicated than just connecting through a port and obtaining admin privilege. You need to find an exploit in an application or the operating itself. And port 80 is your default port for HTTP. Its open on most computers. If you don't know how to exploit something look up metasploit. Sorry for the crappy response, I'm on my iPod.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by dellex on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:44 pm
([msg=52706]see Re: Ports[/msg])

...and learn about virtual machines... they will save you some money ;)
dellex
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:44 pm
([msg=52709]see Re: Ports[/msg])

The only thing I would detract from mShred's post is that port 80 is not open by default on "most computers". It is open on most Web servers (I say most because they can change the port number) and it may be open for other reasons on a small number of computer.

Also, I agree with dellex in that Virtual Machines are a good technology for this kind of experimentation. As long as your hardware can handle it, I'd suggest trying out VirtualBox.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by mShred on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:36 pm
([msg=52744]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:The only thing I would detract from mShred's post is that port 80 is not open by default on "most computers". It is open on most Web servers (I say most because they can change the port number) and it may be open for other reasons on a small number of computer.

Also, I agree with dellex in that Virtual Machines are a good technology for this kind of experimentation. As long as your hardware can handle it, I'd suggest trying out VirtualBox.

Damn you and your superior knowledge.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by cocalol on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 pm
([msg=52763]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Thank you for your answers guys. I read all i managed to find about virtual machines and excuse me but how is that going to help me . If you could be more precise i would appreciate that

Thank you in regards
cocalol
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:06 pm
([msg=52773]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Virtual machines are great because instead of buying more hardware each time you need another computer, you can just simulate the hardware in a VM. This saves time, money, and space. This is great for building a small test network.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by cocalol on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm
([msg=52775]see Re: Ports[/msg])

I actually was in need of one so too late now but thanks for the info. Refering to the port accessing now is there anything you can suggest to start studying ?
cocalol
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:17 pm
([msg=52777]see Re: Ports[/msg])

mShred pretty much explained it. One does not simply walk into Mordor get into a computer through an open port. That computer needs to have a vulnerable service listening on that port, which you then need to exploit.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by cocalol on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:58 pm
([msg=52780]see Re: Ports[/msg])

Through a port i can know if my other computer has an exploit i can use ?
cocalol
New User
New User

Next

Return to Networking