New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start

For IRC Issues

New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start

Post by Jake-X on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:12 pm
([msg=50705]see New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

So I logged onto #hackthissite on Mibbit and was immediately told to "fuck off srsly" by some guy named apples. When I said no, he started insisting I was gay. I tried PMing insomaniacal to ask if the chat was always like this, but it said "insomaniacal is away (lulz)".

I disconnected and doubt I'll be reconnecting any time soon.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start

Post by Bren2010 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:00 pm
([msg=50706]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

Welcome to HackThisSite.org as a whole. This occurs on IRC and the forums (but mostly IRC). We're aware of the issue, and talk very seriously about acting more harshly against it, but we don't because a lot of the staff find it funny. More specifically, the ones that can do something about it.

If it helps...
IRC wrote:* apples has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (You've been warned before about attacking new users.))
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Jake-X on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:05 pm
([msg=50707]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

I guess it would be funny if you had the power to stop it if you wanted to. But thanks for explaining the situation. I guess I'll try again.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Bren2010 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:06 pm
([msg=50708]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

Jake-X wrote:I guess it would be funny if you had the power to stop it if you wanted to.

If that's true, there's the problem right there. It shouldn't be at all. Period.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:14 pm
([msg=50709]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

It's too late for you, Jake-X. Bren has already gotten to you.

Seriously, though, learn to handle trolls and realize that staff aren't going to be on IRC 100% of the time. We do not exist to mend the hurt feelings of every user of HTS IRC; this is a hacking site, not facebook.

If you're going to let one person troll you into leaving IRC, then perhaps the internet is not the place for you.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Bren2010 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:22 pm
([msg=50711]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:It's too late for you, Jake-X. Bren has already gotten to you.
If you're going to let one person troll you into leaving IRC, then perhaps the internet is not the place for you.

Lmfao. What? I needed some like-minded people to help with the anti-troll revolution.</troll></hypocrite>

Anyway, sanddbox has a point. If you're going to be that sensitive, you probably shouldn't even be on Facebook. However, sanddbox, it was his first time on IRC and insomaniacal's BNC wasn't much help when he wanted to know if it's always like that.

Who's going to stay in a place where all that happens is people being mentally/emotionally abused?
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Jake-X on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:01 pm
([msg=50714]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

I knew when I created this thread that there would be at least one person telling me I'm being too sensitive. My answer to that is this: I don't mind trolls IF I know that they're not the only type of person in a community. If ALL the chat that goes on in the IRC is between trolls, I don't see a point to even trying. I just wanted to know if the IRC is always this hostile, or if there are just a few bad "apples". (See what I did there?) But you guys have made it clear that I should just give it a chance and ignore the trolls. So thank you.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:53 pm
([msg=50729]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

The way I see it, if you want to figure out if it's all trolls or not...why ragequit IRC and make a thread about it? It's much better to stay and draw an opinion.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:33 pm
([msg=50730]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

Jake-X wrote:I knew when I created this thread that there would be at least one person telling me I'm being too sensitive.

You're being too sensitive. This makes two people. IRC by it's very nature is pretty volatile. sanddbox pretty much hit the nails on their respective heads here. If you draw your opinions based off your first, brief interaction, then you should probably GET THE FUCK OUT.

Jake-X wrote:or if there are just a few bad "apples". (See what I did there?)

What you did there. I see it.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Jake-X on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:47 am
([msg=50745]see Re: New to HTS IRC...off to a bad start[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:The way I see it, if you want to figure out if it's all trolls or not...why ragequit IRC and make a thread about it? It's much better to stay and draw an opinion.

Seeing as you're making up the information you're basing your argument on, you're not even worth listening to. First of all, unless you call politely denying my homosexuality and then leaving without another word ragequitting, then I did not ragequit. And second, I just made the thread to get information, not to rant about my so-called "ragequit".

Goatboy wrote:If you draw your opinions based off your first, brief interaction, then you should probably GET THE FUCK OUT.

Actually, there's been more than just this one interaction since I made this thread, but I don't want to give the trolls the satisfaction of describing anything they said. Also, as for me getting the fuck out...that's exactly what I did >.>
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to IRC