monitor network

Bad threads go here

monitor network

Post by Data636 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 am
([msg=49960]see monitor network[/msg])

Hello, I am new here and have searched the forum...

I have a home network (5 computers on it 1 is a mac) and need to monitor the mac. I want to know what emails are being sent and what her camera on the computer is viewing. btw she my kid! This is a computer that is being loaned to her by the charter school she goes too , if it was her computer I would simply install some software like netnanny to do this.

I am using Windows 7 and have a Chater modem.. Not a router..

any suggestionson how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Data636
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: monitor network

Post by msbachman on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:30 am
([msg=49962]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

I can offer a suggestion or two if you can tell me why you'd need a camera feed.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Data636 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:40 am
([msg=49964]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

Simple, I am her parent and have a right to monitor what she does on the computer.

Its that simple!

Till she is 18 and is on her own !
Data636
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:01 am
([msg=49968]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

This guy wants to control his underage daughter's webcam...

Get on our IRC and talk to a guy named AR about this. He'll be glad to help.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by msbachman on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:29 am
([msg=49970]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

Data636 wrote:Simple, I am her parent and have a right to monitor what she does on the computer.

What I meant initially is, what do you suspect her of doing that necessitates such a heavy-handed solution?
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:24 am
([msg=49974]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

You seem like you're probably a half decent to decent guy, assuming you are who you say you are, and not a pervy next-door neighbor.

That being said, monitoring your kids with a camera is simply put: Messed up. We are all lovers of freedom here, and there is no reason to spy on your children. Coming down hard will make them fight back harder, I speak from personal experience: Nothing would piss me off more than when my parents would try to unjustly clamp down on me.

Freedom helps you grow as a person; let her. It's totally possible that you have legitimate concerns, but more likely you're misinterpreting, and if she were to find out you're spying on her, it would only push her further away from you.

We can't stop you from being overbearing, but acting in that manner almost always makes the situation go sour even more.

There are plenty of free tools to sniff data on your local network, Wireshark being the de-facto standard. There are plenty of tutorials as to how to use it properly.

But seriously, think about what you're doing.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Data636 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 pm
([msg=49977]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

First, I am her Mother. 2nd this suggestion came from a social worker.
and the councilor . Believe me they want me to lock down this computer so EVERYTHING is monitored. However I need to start this email and the camera.

I told her I was going to monitor her computers for a while, If I see nothing stupid I would stop. But she too felt "Invaded". I told her the same thing I will tell you guys that feel that way "I am responsible for my children till there 18" Legally !

She has had some issues that frankly are not any of your business!

I don't like this idea any more then you do. However being a parent means sometimes we have to do what we really don't want to do because we love our children. When you have kids hopefully your understand..

Now I did not come to a Hacking web site for a lecture in parenting, Her councilor and social worker are great for that .

Can you help me or not?
Data636
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:54 pm
([msg=49978]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

Data636 wrote:First, I am her Mother. 2nd this suggestion came from a social worker.
and the councilor . Believe me they want me to lock down this computer so EVERYTHING is monitored. However I need to start this email and the camera.

I told her I was going to monitor her computers for a while, If I see nothing stupid I would stop. But she too felt "Invaded". I told her the same thing I will tell you guys that feel that way "I am responsible for my children till there 18" Legally !

She has had some issues that frankly are not any of your business!

I don't like this idea any more then you do. However being a parent means sometimes we have to do what we really don't want to do because we love our children. When you have kids hopefully your understand..

Now I did not come to a Hacking web site for a lecture in parenting, Her councilor and social worker are great for that .

Can you help me or not?

Many of us have had invasive parenting, all it will do is send your daughter off against you. I guarantee Msbachman asked about these "problems" because he wanted to offer you advice in good faith. These "issues" are important is that context. Unlike the media portrayal of hackers, we aren't a bunch of low-lives spying on teenage girls and stealing everyone's credit information-We have morals and things we stand for-stripping a teenage girl of freedom and privacy tends to go against that, which is exactly why we have asked for more information.

Now, sniffing data on your network isn't particularly difficult, if everything is sent in plaintext, then a MitM attack would harvest pretty much everything. Hacking into her webcam would be more difficult, not to mention extremely unethical.

Please don't be defensive, many of us have been in similar situations, and don't think it's the right move. You may be legally responsible for them, but stripping them of freedom in an extreme manner should be a last resort.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 pm
([msg=49980]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

You think you have the right to watch every move of hers on a camera because you're her mother?

If you don't like what she's doing on the computer (although I doubt her problems you won't mention have anything to do with computers), restrict her access. You're violating her right to privacy by trying to spy on her like some sick pervert.

I fail to see what the camera would help you learn, anyway. It's not like seeing her on camera will teach you ANYTHING about what sites she's visiting.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Data636 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 pm
([msg=49983]see Re: monitor network[/msg])

Forget it.. It was a mistake to ask you!

Yes I have the right !

How old are you????
Your probably some 19 yr old kid, You can have so you believe you GOD!

This is where AMERICA is now! It sucks It used to be the Parent had the rite to watch the kid, NOW we have people like you !!

I want to monitor my child! AND I AM WRONG!!!

your the hacker, you had to learn it somewhere s and practice it, Wounder how ethical and moral you are!!

Bet you copy netflix or blockbuster dvd!!! OOOO ya steel software and crack the code!
sandbox your idiot!!

I aint no perve!! I AM A LOVING PARENT TO MY DAUGHTER

must be you had no loving parent !!

I need to delete my account...
Data636
New User
New User

Next

Return to Graveyard