What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:39 pm
([msg=47270]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

Ansikt wrote:Replace "Basic Hacking" with "me."

The only differences between the different "versions" of Linux are the programs installed by default - some major ones to consider are the Desktop Environment (sometimes referred to as DE) and the Window Manager (WM). There's also external factors to consider, like community support, and how often the release is updated.

Almost 100% correct, but oftentimes, different distros will use different kernels, due to various reasons. Many also use varyious versions of certain programs (Especially graphical daemons) for compatibility mostly. It can get really confusing for the new user when one "Linux" seems to work fine, and the next is giving them a black screen with a scary looking "x" in the middle.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by d3v11 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:04 pm
([msg=48348]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

Ansikt wrote:...but in the long run, it'll probably be better to have a computer that you're totally at ease with, and install the tools as you go along (with a good package manager, it isn't difficult)...

+1

Not only in the long run but getting started as well.
"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." - Sun Tzu
d3v11
New User
New User

Post by fishtits on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50 am
([msg=49719]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

Just switch to Ubuntu and you'll get to know linux. I first started using Ubuntu 4 years ago and never went back to windows cuz I saw how crap it is in comparison. Microsoft did a good job of redeeming themselves with Windows 7 though. Over the years I've tried about 6 different distros but I'm back to Ubuntu now cuz I prefer it. The GUIs on Ubuntu are as user friendly as Windows but there are loads of things that are easier to do with the terminal so even if your a lazy bastard you'll still learn how to use the terminal. Heres a screenshot of my desktop
I have Windows 7 installed on another partition for the odd time when I need to use it. If theres any programs you had on Windows but can't find for linux theres a program on linux called WINE that lets you install Windows programs.

TheSavageSquid wrote:I was talking to my dad and he suggested Fadora or a flavor of SUSE Linux, but I was looking at Ubuntu. I want to install Linux for stuff other than hacking, I'm just interested in using it because I think it'll be good learning experience, and I liked Linux when we had it installed on our old laptop, but learning to hack with it is definitely a big part in it.

I tried both Fedora and OpenSUSE and thought SUSE was complete shit. Fedora wasn't bad but I prefer Ubuntu.
fishtits
New User
New User

Post by _SKE_H1ll on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 am
([msg=49793]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

Really if want to start learning to do basic hacking i would go with UNIX. Unix is by far the most customizable and hacker friendly of all the distros. The simple fact that one can build an os to fit one specific purpose just through coding represents the very definition freedom of choice and customability.
While Unix does require some complex coding its great for basic programming and hacking but includes the functionality to add programs that dont often come with synaptic, kde wallet, etc...
The sheer power of Unix is unparrelled to any other OS. its a stepping stone built on a foundation for greater accomplishments. The ultimate Powerhouse!
_SKE_H1ll
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:41 am
([msg=49794]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

I'm pretty sure this thread was rather dead, but anyways, the type of hacking you are attempting will alter the decision. Ie, if you are wanting an OS soley for missions on this site and other web security stuff, Windows is probably the best option as most of the application missions are Windows only.

In no way am I condoning Windows as a primary OS. I just wanted to point out that there is NO all time BEST OS. It is ALL based on personal preference. Fool around and find one you prefer.

Personally I use Arch Linux. I learned a lot about Linux just from installation and configuration.

The guy who posted above is full of it and obviously does not know what he is talking about. "Unix" is NOT a specific "distro."
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by neuromanta on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 am
([msg=49795]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

_SKE_H1ll wrote:Really if want to start learning to do basic hacking i would go with UNIX. Unix is by far the most customizable and hacker friendly of all the distros. The simple fact that one can build an os to fit one specific purpose just through coding represents the very definition freedom of choice and customability.
While Unix does require some complex coding its great for basic programming and hacking but includes the functionality to add programs that dont often come with synaptic, kde wallet, etc...
The sheer power of Unix is unparrelled to any other OS. its a stepping stone built on a foundation for greater accomplishments. The ultimate Powerhouse!

What are you talking about? Do you even know what Unix is? Well, of course, there is an OS called Unix, which was used decades ago on room-sized mainframes, but there's no Unix now... only Unix-like OS-s, like AIX, Solaris, VMS, etc.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:39 am
([msg=49798]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I'm pretty sure this thread was rather dead, but anyways, the type of hacking you are attempting will alter the decision. Ie, if you are wanting an OS soley for missions on this site and other web security stuff, Windows is probably the best option as most of the application missions are Windows only.

YES!!, YES, YES!!

I get so sick of people saying "Linux is for teh hakz.". If you download Linux expecting to find 1000's of web vulnerabilities that were hidden to you on Windows, then you're just plain misled, or if it works, then your e-penis is connected directly to your brain's analytical capacity. Linux is just another way of utilizing your hardware. Yes, you have more control, more options, and about 9*10^1000 times more low-level customization than Windows.

Ultimately, it comes down to a preference. For me, Linux is faster, I like knowing I have the freedom to adapt as much as I like, it's free,it's directory structure makes it tons easier for me, and supporting Open Source jut feels good.

/rant
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:12 pm
([msg=49832]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I just wanted to point out that there is NO all time BEST OS.

Actually, there is.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
([msg=49849]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:I just wanted to point out that there is NO all time BEST OS.

Actually, there is.

As soon as I saw "actually" I knew what was coming. Fuck me.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by sanddbox on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:13 am
([msg=49862]see Re: What's a Good Version of Linux for Basic Hacking[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
Goatboy wrote:

Actually, there is.

As soon as I saw "actually" I knew what was coming. Fuck me.

I called it as well. Goatboy is losing his touch,

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to *nix