Having problems connect with my IP address.

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Having problems connect with my IP address.

Post by jpmut on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 am
([msg=49709]see Having problems connect with my IP address.[/msg])

I've recently tried to create a program that runs on the internet. I've successfully made it connect with websites and using the loop-back address makes it run seamlessly. However, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work between two personal computers. I've tried connecting using the IP address I get from websites such as whatismyipaddress.com or myipaddress.com, instead of the loop-back address 127.0.0.1 but it doesn't connect. I tried remote pinging using programs such as http://www.wormly.com/test_remote_ping but it doesn't connect with my IP address. Why is it that when I enter my IP like http://***.**.***.**/ it just brings an error but using http://localhost/ brings up my website?

Is it because I'm trying to connect to the IP from the same address? Should I try connect with it from a different computer? Please help me, I'm new to networking.

PS: I use a dial-up modem with a SIM card in it. I have no router or local network. However, when I run ipconfig it shows me a local IP address. Using http://**.*.**.**/ works properly and shows my website.
The philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell was asked, "If a false premise can imply any conclusion, use 1 = 2 to prove you're the Pope!" Russell replied, "The Pope and I are two, so we are one."
jpmut
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Having problems connect with my IP address.

Post by Goatboy on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 am
([msg=49710]see Re: Having problems connect with my IP address.[/msg])

I forget the term, but some modems have a hard time connecting back to themselves. If you try http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and enter your IP, it should show you as up. I had a bitch of a time figuring this out when I first set up my server.

EDIT: You might need to have a domain name for that website.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by jpmut on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 am
([msg=49711]see Re: Having problems connect with my IP address.[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I forget the term, but some modems have a hard time connecting back to themselves. If you try http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and enter your IP, it should show you as up. I had a bitch of a time figuring this out when I first set up my server.

EDIT: You might need to have a domain name for that website.

I tried that site, and it says my IP looks down from there too. It is possible that this address is my ISP's proxy? Would explain why I don't see my website and this error I got last year but doesn't explain why it appears down on that site or why it doesn't respond to ping.

No, it's not a serious site. I just created it to test this issue. Plus domain name will also be pointless since I have Dynamic IP address.

-- Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 pm --

My suspicions were right. While this computer was still connected, I got a laptop and connected it using another dial-up modem (same ISP) and checking it's IP address using whatismyip.com gives me the same IP address as my first computer. Being a little suspicious, I signed in on gmail with both computers and then checked the computer details. Gmail showed that I was signed in on two different computers both using the same IP. So I guess this IP I'm getting is my ISP's proxy server's.

So I went back to something I noted when I used ipconfig, it was giving me a local/private IP address. This was kind of odd given that I was using a normal dial-up modem and was not connect to any LAN. Out of curiosity I entered that IP on the laptop and my website showed. So I've come to the realisation that my ISP has some sort of private network. Now I logged off the laptop and reconnected using a SIM card of another ISP. My website no longer worked. I reconnect using the SIM card of the first ISP (my main ISP) and the website works.

So is there a way for someone using a different ISP to make a connection with my computer?
The philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell was asked, "If a false premise can imply any conclusion, use 1 = 2 to prove you're the Pope!" Russell replied, "The Pope and I are two, so we are one."
jpmut
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 am
([msg=49717]see Re: Having problems connect with my IP address.[/msg])

If you are indeed using a proxy (which it seems like you are), the only way to do this is if you could configure the proxy to port-forward specific requests, and allocate yourself a static IP behind that proxy. I highly doubt this is the case.

Also, there is a service called DynDNS that allows you to have a domain name for a dynamic IP. Check it out.

Now since I am certain that Thetan is going to come along any minute and blow my answers out of the water, I am going to go. Hope this helped.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by jpmut on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 pm
([msg=49733]see Re: Having problems connect with my IP address.[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:If you are indeed using a proxy (which it seems like you are), the only way to do this is if you could configure the proxy to port-forward specific requests, and allocate yourself a static IP behind that proxy. I highly doubt this is the case.

So I guess there's no way for anyone outside my ISP network to connect to my computer then. My computer has to make the connection first as it seems. Similarly, I can't make connections with computers with ISPs that have a similar network.

If I upload files to one of those free online-web hosting services, will I be able to run a server-side application? I could use this server for as a middle-man.
jpmut
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 pm
([msg=49737]see Re: Having problems connect with my IP address.[/msg])

jpmut wrote:
Goatboy wrote:If I upload files to one of those free online-web hosting services, will I be able to run a server-side application? I could use this server for as a middle-man.

Some will allow it, some will not.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to Networking