Noobish Python help pl0x

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Re: Noobish Python help pl0x

Post by centip3de on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:50 pm
([msg=49633]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

tgoe wrote:Re-read the post by Defience carefully

Oh >.>
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Vulpine on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am
([msg=49635]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

centip3de wrote:It uses mozilla thunderbird and an add-on for it. (If anyones interested I'll go into greater detail)

I'm very interested in this greater detail.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:56 am
([msg=49638]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

In the future, try to read the error messages. That's what they're there for.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by thetan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:07 am
([msg=49651]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:In the future, try to read the error messages. That's what they're there for.

To quote Mr.K himself

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
- Brian Kernighan
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:08 pm
([msg=49678]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:
centip3de wrote:It uses mozilla thunderbird and an add-on for it. (If anyones interested I'll go into greater detail)

I'm very interested in this greater detail.

I think that means, "I'm very interested in this, go into greater detail" or something along those lines.

Anywho, I'm able to control my comp via text messages because of email. On Mozilla Thunderbird it has an option to sort your emails, i.e. if its from johniscool@epicprovider.com it will put it in the "john is cool" folder. Now there is an addon called, Mailbox Alert that whenever you get mail, it will do a specific action like play a sound or even start a program (get where I'm going ;) ). So basically I made a crap load (near 300) folders for all the different possible text messages, or commands I would want to do. And set the Mailbox Alert to a different batch program (I know, highly ineffective) that would write a text file, and start my mother program. This program would read the file, and depending on what it said, correspond properly. This could be anywhere to sending a text back to, starting a process, to taking a screenshot and sending it to me (if my friends didn't believe me :D ). And all I had to do , was send a text to my email. :)

Hope thats what you meant xD
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by thetan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:28 pm
([msg=49681]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Anywho, I'm able to control my comp via text messages because of email. On Mozilla Thunderbird it has an option to sort your emails, i.e. if its from johniscool@epicprovider.com it will put it in the "john is cool" folder. Now there is an addon called, Mailbox Alert that whenever you get mail, it will do a specific action like play a sound or even start a program (get where I'm going ;) ). So basically I made a crap load (near 300) folders for all the different possible text messages, or commands I would want to do. And set the Mailbox Alert to a different batch program (I know, highly ineffective) that would write a text file, and start my mother program. This program would read the file, and depending on what it said, correspond properly. This could be anywhere to sending a text back to, starting a process, to taking a screenshot and sending it to me (if my friends didn't believe me :D ). And all I had to do , was send a text to my email. :)

^^ dans l'esprit d'un hacker

+1

props

Kids pay attention to this guy, this is what it means to be a hacker.

Doing quarky hackish shit like this.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vulpine on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm
([msg=49682]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

centip3de wrote:I think that means, "I'm very interested in this, go into greater detail" or something along those lines.

Anywho, I'm able to control my comp via text messages because of email. On Mozilla Thunderbird it has an option to sort your emails, i.e. if its from johniscool@epicprovider.com it will put it in the "john is cool" folder. Now there is an addon called, Mailbox Alert that whenever you get mail, it will do a specific action like play a sound or even start a program (get where I'm going ;) ). So basically I made a crap load (near 300) folders for all the different possible text messages, or commands I would want to do. And set the Mailbox Alert to a different batch program (I know, highly ineffective) that would write a text file, and start my mother program. This program would read the file, and depending on what it said, correspond properly. This could be anywhere to sending a text back to, starting a process, to taking a screenshot and sending it to me (if my friends didn't believe me :D ). And all I had to do , was send a text to my email. :)

That's pretty cool. I think I'll have to play with that.

Well done, and thanks very much for sharing!
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:31 pm
([msg=49683]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

thetan wrote:<br>^^ dans l'esprit d'un hacker<br><br>+1<br><br>props<br><br>Kids pay attention to this guy, this is what it means to be a hacker.<br><br>Doing quarky hackish shit like this.

Haha thanks!! :D

Vulpine wrote:That's pretty cool. I think I'll have to play with that.<br><br>Well done, and thanks very much for sharing!

Thanks! :D

And I would love to hear what you come up with :geek:
centip3de

Post by thetan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm
([msg=49684]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

I can remote control servers i have at work from my cell phone, but my solution is far more boring because i just use an SSH client on my phone and peck away shell commands on the touch screen :(

thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:02 pm
([msg=49685]see Re: Noobish Python help pl0x[/msg])

thetan wrote:I can remote control servers i have at work from my cell phone, but my solution is far more boring because i just use an SSH client on my phone and peck away shell commands on the touch screen :(

Maybe so, but its far more efficient! :)
centip3de

PreviousNext

Return to Interpreted Languages