The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

Post by nasomancer on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:16 pm
([msg=49140]see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

Anybody else read this book?

I just started it not too long ago and it's one of the best crazily popular fiction stories I've read in a long time. Lisbeth Salander, the main character, is a hacker who doesn't use the big theatrical methods seen in badly researched stories of this nature. Having said that, so far there hasn't been a whole lot of detail about how she does what she does, but at least there's none of the nonsense that makes me groan.

There are some superfluous details about a plot-important family in the first quarter of the book, but I never felt it got too messy or hard to read. I keep reading to see what Lisbeth will do next -- she's an instant classic as far as detective-like characters go. Can't vouch for the movie because I haven't seen it yet, but the book's a good read and since so many people here liked Little Brother, I thought I'd recommend it.

No spoilers, please. I haven't read much more than half yet and I'm not sure how much time I'll get to read it this weekend as I just picked up a load of old SF magazines and I have a stupid social engagement to attend tomorrow.
nasomancer
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

Post by ktm on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 pm
([msg=49142]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

I used to work in a bookstore and it was the big hit that everyone was asking about. Never read it myself, and I never bothered to read the synopsis either. I usually don't read popular fiction, but now that I know it's about a hacker I might just give it a try.

I remember Dan Brown's book Digital Fortress was also about a woman programmer/hacker, but it's been a while and I forget how realistic her skills were.
ktm
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 pm
([msg=49159]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

I'm pretty sure there's a movie about that. And i rented it but it seemed kinda stupid so i didn't even finish it.. Maybe i should have paid more attention.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Szayel on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 pm
([msg=66823]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

I just started reading the series. I love the books, and is the main reason why I wanted to become a hacker.
"If you cannot win the game, if you cannot solve the puzzle, then you are just another loser." (Near from Death Note)
Michael:What are you doing?
Salander:I'm reading your notes.
Michael:They're encrypted.
Salander:Please. Have some coffee.
Szayel
New User
New User

Post by tgoe on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:50 am
([msg=66836]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

I saw this version: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/. Good movie.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:49 pm
([msg=66860]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

tgoe wrote:I saw this version: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/. Good movie.

This is the one I also saw (plus the 2 afterwards). But I haven't seen the new releases yet. The movies are awesome! But yes there are a lot of moving parts and different things going on so you have to pay attention. A friend of mine just finished the books and she is hooked as well. It's not "realistic" in the terms of hacking. But then again it is a movie. A damn good movie! I'll likely get the books eventually.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Szayel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:31 pm
([msg=68785]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

limdis wrote:
tgoe wrote:I saw this version: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/. Good movie.

This is the one I also saw (plus the 2 afterwards). But I haven't seen the new releases yet. The movies are awesome! But yes there are a lot of moving parts and different things going on so you have to pay attention. A friend of mine just finished the books and she is hooked as well. It's not "realistic" in the terms of hacking. But then again it is a movie. A damn good movie! I'll likely get the books eventually.

What?! You saw the movies without reading the books? That's like the worst thing you can do.
"If you cannot win the game, if you cannot solve the puzzle, then you are just another loser." (Near from Death Note)
Szayel
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:40 pm
([msg=68793]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

Szayel wrote:What?! You saw the movies without reading the books? That's like the worst thing you can do.

I disagree, you can go to any movie you want and watch it just for enjoyment of seeing a great story, great special effects, or just to doze of from the cruelties of the rest of the world. It's really based on what the person feels like doing, there is no set rule that you cannot watch a movie without reading the book first.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wasp9211 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 am
([msg=68796]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

Ive seen the movies too and am reading the books and i am obsessed :D . The hacking described in the books is kinda realistic, kevin poulsen confirmed that but ive seen ppl critisizing lisbeth for using a powerbook for hacking. Can't Macs be used for hacking?
wasp9211
New User
New User

Post by Szayel on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm
([msg=68800]see Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
Szayel wrote:What?! You saw the movies without reading the books? That's like the worst thing you can do.

I disagree, you can go to any movie you want and watch it just for enjoyment of seeing a great story, great special effects, or just to doze of from the cruelties of the rest of the world. It's really based on what the person feels like doing, there is no set rule that you cannot watch a movie without reading the book first.

Yeah, the feeling is mutual. IMO, the movies have no where near the detail of the books. I think reading the books first is better, because you actually get the original source of the story. Let's take the hunger games for an example. While the movie was great, it was crap compared to the book. I had to constantly explain things to people because the didn't read the book.
Szayel
New User
New User

Next

Return to Books